Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Question about turkey roosting habits >

Question about turkey roosting habits

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question about turkey roosting habits

Old 08-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question about turkey roosting habits

Two questions: Do turkeys roost in trees on ridges that face the east (sunrise). And when they fly down in the morning do they fly towards an uphill slope making easier to land?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Question about turkey roosting habits

My observation....They do whatever seems to come through their mind at the time. Ive seen my birds on my place roost in trees 8 feet tall one night, 50 the next. The face every wich way and fly down like a sack of corn with wings whatever direction they are facing when the decide to go...the first bird down is the one who sets the stage, they all follow. Except for one or two who have a mind of their own and go where they want.

They are like teenagers, dont try to predict behavior.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kits, I a few consistencies with our birds in roost sites is they do choose sites with easy access such as a more direct approach to there roost instead of a striaght up take-off into the trees.They do this by either pitching off a creek bank into a bottom or off the side or top of a ridge this gives them a straighter approach the their roost.But with this said I hunted Texas and with the flat terrain they dont have a choice but to fly up and then limb hop higher in the tree.So alot of these habits can very across the country due to terrain.Another thing is our birds almost always choose digger pines or cottonwoods in the bottoms to roost in.As far as the direction in leaving the roost is concerned I havent found anything that really is consistent except that they will usually hit the ground in an open area where they can see,sometimes its straight down other times they may pitch out and glide into a landing zone.Wooddust is exactly right the first bird out and in for that matter usually sets the stage!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:00 AM
Fork Horn

It sounds like I need to research this more locally.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:59 PM

I' ve found (at least the merriams) seem to roost up high, fly downhill, and then work their way back uphill. I' m not sure if it is east or west, or more of what the terrain has to offer... Let me know if you find something out Craig