Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

12 Gauge vs 20 Gauge

Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default 12 Gauge vs 20 Gauge

Is there a big disadvantage with the 20 gauge as far as grouping and distance compared to the 12 gauge?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, but due to improvement in turkey loads and chokes, it's not very much. With a hevi-shot load and a good choke tube, you should be able to take a bird at 40 yd. with a 3" 20 ga.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im sure you can get a 20ga to kill out to 40 yards... But Im sure what ever you can do with a 20ga a 12 ga will do better...

If you can handle the 12... I'd get the 12ga
Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Im sure you can get a 20ga to kill out to 40 yards... But Im sure what ever you can do with a 20ga a 12 ga will do better...

If you can handle the 12... I'd get the 12ga

The only reason I'm even considering the 20 gauge is because I have some young daughters that are interested in turkey hunting, which I am thrilled about. So I'm sure the recoil is not near as bad with the 20 gauge.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bnzartman
The only reason I'm even considering the 20 gauge is because I have some young daughters that are interested in turkey hunting, which I am thrilled about. So I'm sure the recoil is not near as bad with the 20 gauge.
I have a friend thats a nurse that kills birds regularly with a super Black eagle 20g
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bnzartman

A few things to consider - a semi-auto shotgun recoil is far less than a pump which is less than a single shot - so keep that in mind.

A 20 ga will do just fine at 40 if you pattern. My daughters used a Remington 1100 with 3" #4 copper shot with no problem at all. I even added a Tru-Glo sight to help them concentrate on the hit zone.
And we always tried to get the bird in at 20 yards or so as that is how I hunt.........

What a 12 does bring is more payload as far as number of shot per shell fired

........but a 20 will kill just as dead......

JW
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others. There is no need to beat her up with a 12. Just call them in range. It's waaay more fun to have them in your lap.

A Rem 11-87 20ga is what my daughter uses. My gun dealer advised me to buy a regularly sized gun and purchase a youth stock on Ebay, separately. It is less expensive than buying the youth model. Plus, we have a full sized gun later on. But, if I were doing it all over again, I would look into something with a thumb hole stock. Wow, they tuck right in there. My daughter picked one up the other day and loved it.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
A few things to consider - a semi-auto shotgun recoil is far less than a pump which is less than a single shot - so keep that in mind.

A 20 ga will do just fine at 40 if you pattern. My daughters used a Remington 1100 with 3" #4 copper shot with no problem at all. I even added a Tru-Glo sight to help them concentrate on the hit zone.
And we always tried to get the bird in at 20 yards or so as that is how I hunt.........

What a 12 does bring is more payload as far as number of shot per shell fired

........but a 20 will kill just as dead......

JW
Well said. I have shot some 20 guage pumps that kicked more than some 12's I have shot. With a decent semi-auto, they have very, very low recoil. That's what I'd recommend. Even a semi-auto 12 over a pump 20. If you went with a semi-auto 12, you could have your daughters shoot lighter loads and have less recoil than a 20 ga pump with more pellets sent down range. Just an idea.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
Well said. I have shot some 20 guage pumps that kicked more than some 12's I have shot. With a decent semi-auto, they have very, very low recoil. That's what I'd recommend. Even a semi-auto 12 over a pump 20. If you went with a semi-auto 12, you could have your daughters shoot lighter loads and have less recoil than a 20 ga pump with more pellets sent down range. Just an idea.

I understand what you guys are saying about the semi-auto, but I don't have the funds to get one. Been looking at the H&R and Mossberg Maverick.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You 12 gauge chest pounders make me laugh...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.