Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Public Land vs Private Lands >

Public Land vs Private Lands

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public Land vs Private Lands

Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Public Land vs Private Lands

Because I don't want to see a debate take away from a great thread in "How ammo (Hevi shot) effects gobblers after a hit, I decided to take this one to a new thread.

Private over public debate. Seems there is only one guy that really wants to push this issue, but I'm not out to start any war. I really don't care what any other turkey hunters think and I'm sure most of us are the same as to where you take your success. As a turkey hunter, a successful guide for 20 some years I have taken my share of birds on both Private and Public. Is there a difference, well I will have to admit that there is a difference but on what level. I only hunt one property that I have full control on but the tresspassers and the turkey hunters that hunt the public land the next property over tend to keep the birds in pretty good aware of hunters and calling tactic's that they are not completely push overs.

The largest problem with public lands and I do find USA real bad is the population of hunters that use it. They do get kinda crowded and you do get busted a ton by others that are after that same gobbler that you heard answer your call. The worst I have ever seen is in Florida as most turkey hunters are after that quest, the line ups at Management areas is just an eye opener if you have never seen it.

Can a Turkey hunter Kill in these such areas ? You bet they can, but maybe just not the one day that you planned on.

I'm going to leave this up to the forum here to decide and to dicuss these issues as I have my secrets and I'm not sure if they are all right or not but I tend to be successful no matter what type of land or where I am hunting for the Wild Turkey.

OK Guys and Gals Have at it !
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have never hunted turkeys on public land but I do plan on it this spring because there are about 2400 acres around my school town. Even if I don't go hunt, I'm going to go scout and practices my calling (this is my first turkey season ever). I have however hunted my fair share of public land for whitetail and I will never do it again. The public land in Missouri is way overpopulated. About 5 or 6 years ago, my father and I were hunting some public land in Northern Missouri and had multiple shots whiz over our heads/right by us. People just don't care about other hunters it seems. *sorry for the rant*
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted public land most of my life with much sucess. Only recently( last 4-5) years have I hunted private land. I guess the problems you all have had i really haven't had. When i hunt public I scout where there is no traffic or other hunters. I have killed lots of birds on public because I think it makes you a better hunter and woodsman. I like the challenge. Its just as hard to kill abird on private as well. Private land birds don't have the pressure as most birds. Where i live our gobblers get hammered from the first gobble of the year to about the middle of June. Its said if you can kill a bird in my county you can kill one anywhere. Don't know how much truth is in that statement, but I know southern Mo birds get hammered. I have never hunted in north mo soi really can't comment on that. Myself i'll never give up the public land hunts, sometimes thats all we have to hunt so its either worry about other hunters or stay at home. It really don't matter where i hunt as long as i'm huntin.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My turkey hunting on public lands has been limited to draw hunts. One at Matador WMA here in Texas, we were assigned compartments but calling from another compartment near yours could screw you up. One I hunted last year was Beryl Anthony WMA in Arkansas, and that was screwed up. I think I was the only hunter on that draw, but the locals kept it so stirred up there was no way a bird was going to respond to calls. I couldn't go a few hundred yards on that place without ending up in someone's backyard that bordered the WMA.

This year I'm hunting all private land and hopefully the toms that I saw on Saturday are still hanging around in three months.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 01-24-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well,I'll add my .02 worth.I gotta laugh every time I hear some one say that public land birds are harder to kill than private land.Different YES but harder NO.You just use different tactics.It's that simple. Here in Pa.I can show you public land birds that get nowhere near the pressure that some birds on private property get. You just gotta adjust.I hunt both types of property.But as far as bein any harder,I don't sweat any more huntin one type or the other,I don't go home any more tired from huntin one type or another,My muscles don't hurt any worse from huntin one type or another.So I wish someone could explain to me what they mean by HARDER.I'll still call it different but not harder.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jalvja
Well,I'll add my .02 worth.I gotta laugh every time I hear some one say that public land birds are harder to kill than private land.Different YES but harder NO.You just use different tactics.It's that simple. Here in Pa.I can show you public land birds that get nowhere near the pressure that some birds on private property get. You just gotta adjust.I hunt both types of property.But as far as bein any harder,I don't sweat any more huntin one type or the other,I don't go home any more tired from huntin one type or another,My muscles don't hurt any worse from huntin one type or another.So I wish someone could explain to me what they mean by HARDER.I'll still call it different but not harder.
You took a darn heart attack on Private land so that must mean you were tired more then Public

Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
You took a darn heart attack on Private land so that must mean you were tired more then Public

But I had my heart attack at work,lol
Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think public land birds are harder only because you have more people hunting the same land as you, probably going after the same bird as you too, lol...maybe it's only Florida/Osceola country but our WMA's get worked hard...but a bird is going to be educated regardless if it's on public or private...the challenge for me is when I go to another state and hunt their public land,or a new WMA, not knowing one thing about it or the birds on and then being successful is so much sweeter say if I were to go to a friends property...but I'd be tickled regardless if I killed a bird.

Last edited by huntnma; 01-24-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I've only hunted public land a handful of times, and I know it's no easy task taking one of those birds. On the other hand I hunt regularly with guys that pay big money to join clubs and don't think for a second that your going to get on birds that haven't been pressured! I think my stance in this argument is that I don't think the birds are any harder no matter where you hunt, but having so many hunters in a area your hunting (public land) can create a challenge that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your hunting or woodsman ship skills. Other hunters bumping birds or trying to cut you off isn't safe and isn't for me. To all of you smoking longbeards on public land I tip my hat, but don't think I'm hunting yard birds on my lease! Haha!

Good luck to every one this spring, and hunt safe!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Do your home work - it don't matter!

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.