Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Public Land vs Private Lands >

Public Land vs Private Lands

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public Land vs Private Lands

Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

While I have hunted some private land when I was first lurning to hunt turkeys.. I never really had a lot 0of luck even though I should of had a large tom.. I was trying with a bow up in a guys corn field that I was given permission to hunt in. Last year however they open the area I live in up. That too is private land but open to the public. I scored a nice tom and a jake to fill both my tags with. This private land is owned by timber companies and covers a large area. So I guess this would count as public land because of it being used by the public?? So I am saying for my case the public land is better..
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
For someone that don't know me , don't know the land I hunt, don't know where I hunt, don't know how I hunt , you seem to have down right bashed and belittled me over your own accusations.

if you hunt your area as long as you say, then you should not have a problem out doing others on your turf LB if your a turkey hunter.

I take affence to your reply as How in a public forum you could say so much untrue accusations. I'll tell you buddy, I would leave you in a world of darkness on any public land you want to choose to tackle. I do not need anyone to help me, I do not get any help because I am a PS for a company, I get less time in the woods in the USA in one State then you do and I still make something of it no matter where I go, even first time management areas.

You call yourself a Turkey hunter,,,,, I call you an A$$ and a Big Mouth on Top....

You are the greatest turkey hunter of all times!!!

And Im sure your right... Nobody takes you by the hand and put's you on turkeys in the US...

Just squash it... You got what you wanted...
Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

MLB,Like anythin else,you get outta turkey huntin what you put into it.You admitted yourself that you're not willin to change.So stop blamin everyone else for your short commins.Of all the members who have come and gone since I've been here in the late 90's.You are the only one who seems concerned with who is better than who.That is somethin I can overlook cause I know it's all talk.What really pizzes me off about you is time and time again I have watched newer hunters,some of them kids,Proudly post about their success only to have you try to belittle them because it wasn't a "PUBLIC LAND BIRD".Never once have I seen you offer any advice or tips to a fellow hunter here.Grow up! It ain't all about you.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
The worst I have ever seen is in Florida as most turkey hunters are after that quest, the line ups at Management areas is just an eye opener if you have never seen it.
LoL, I grew up hunting central Florida WMAs. I have killed so many birds in WMAs it is ridiculous. If you are hunting pressured birds just get in early to the flydown area as quiet as possible, they will come right into your lap. If hat doesn't work hunt fencelines and firebreaks they prefer to travel throughout the day, again, keep quiet, no calling.

Hunting un-pressured turkeys is not even hunting. They come right to the calls, it is ridiculous.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PalmettoKid

Hunting un-pressured turkeys is not even hunting. They come right to the calls, it is ridiculous.
Seriously? So it's real turkey hunting only if you hunt pressured public birds? Sounds like someone else on this forum. Maybe you need to hook up with him. Even unpressured birds can be a test at times, especially when they are with hens. They don't always come to calls. I'll agree, pressured public birds are probably the toughest to kill, but pressured private land birds can be just as tough at times. When you have neighboring hunters hunting the same birds you are trying to kill, you might as well call it public type hunting, even though it's on private land.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Seriously? So it's real turkey hunting only if you hunt pressured public birds? Sounds like someone else on this forum. Maybe you need to hook up with him. Even unpressured birds can be a test at times, especially when they are with hens. They don't always come to calls. I'll agree, pressured public birds are probably the toughest to kill, but pressured private land birds can be just as tough at times. When you have neighboring hunters hunting the same birds you are trying to kill, you might as well call it public type hunting, even though it's on private land.
SS, I believe he missed the whole point of the quote. Its too bad because this thread has just flew right over most here. As for the reply from LB about me, it don't suprise me at all. I was not ever claiming to be the best, but mearly just be respected as a turkey hunter wether its on Public or Private. I've hunted both and I have been successful with both places and I know others are too but its just hog wash if one thinks that all private land birds are just push overs. I believe my past exsperence with turkey hunting should show that I don't need someone to lead me around and why someone would such a thing when they know, is behond me.

Knowing the property is a very large part, but hunters that travel do not get to see property layout at times and judgement of what knowledge needs to be taken to become successfull in these such areas...
Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

So it's hard for me to go somewere else that I've never been to and start from scratch...
that's what I love about turkey hunting. Man, there is nothing more exciting for me than standing beside the truck, looking out into the darkness and having no clue where a bird might be. THAT IS HARD!

Admittedly I guess I have cheated a bit in doing some of this hunting with guys like BT . I watch those guys like hawks and even though I may p!ss them off with my opinions sometimes I am absorbing tons of knowledge from guys who have done it, no question.

You are right Mr L. There are some guys that get a lot of times in the turkey woods compared to the average guy. There is lots of guys like Jalva who have been doing it for decades on top of that. That's why everyone rags on you so much. We all embrace the thoughts of guys like him, JW and BT . You share nothing except your put downs which are based on limited knowledge. You don't challenge yourself by hunting new grounds as you admitted, and you have to hunt 3-4 years to get the same amount of time in the feild as I do in 1 year. lol I'll think I'll keep doing what I'm doing thanks.

It's nice to hunt familiar ground like you said but I think my heart pounds a little harder when I am standing in new unkown grounds. The challenge of walking out of there with a bird when it's a clean slate, is awesome. Try it! THAT WILL MAKE A TURKEY HUNTER OUT OF YA!. It is the love of the sport bud. Whether it's a slam dunk hunt or standing on the edge of nothing for the first time, you're in the game!

Now go get into the new age and buy yourself a digital camera for crise sake. Kodak disposable My gaaaawd....and start being a little more humble and helpful on this board.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

....and I think we're DAM handsome!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

The bird is sure good looking- the guys? Hmmm...

Now play nice gents.
Debate is good - personal attacks are not and is against the HNI rules.......and I hate editing!

So as part of your homework - please re-read the HNI rules again....sigh
Thansk
Dave....JW
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL... BT I sure hope those are a set of hillbilly teeth your sportin there!!!

Hey JW dont worrie about me I get a laugh out of this stuff!!! They put a lot of effort into it lol...

I guess i gotta start carring a digital camera and learn how to post pics...

Who knows maybe I'll have some pic of me in a couple months with one of them public land gobblers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.