Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Public Land vs Private Lands >

Public Land vs Private Lands

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public Land vs Private Lands

Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntnma
As long as I'm turkey hunting, I don't care if it's public or private....
And the turkeys don't care if they're on public or private land either
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

LOL Ridge Runner.... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim
Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

My farm is quite small, only 450 acres, and somehow I managed to over hunt every square inch of my property during this past deer season by myself. I have never hunted public land or been a member of a large club but I assume the same result will occur.

Lots of people = spooked animals = better luck next year.

Also as to trespassers on private land. My AR-15 says NO!

But try and do some pre-game before season starts. If in a wooded area look for patches of leaves that are obviously disturbed. Turkeys scratch when they feed just like chickens except its a 20 pound chicken with much larger feet. Its very very obvious where turkeys have been feeding. I have been deer hunting for 15 years and this will be my first turkey season and I have found it much much easier to track my turkeys than deer in regards to where they are moving to and from feeding areas. Gotten so good at patterning my birds I figured out I have 3 different populations of about 50-60 birds in each one. Just from seeing signs like messed up leaves and entire corn piles eaten in 1 day lol, and then setting trail cams to watch those areas.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 01-26-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Spike

I have found great success in hunting public land and heres how. Keep in mind that I live in the Appalachian mountains, what I do is go to the roughest, most harsh terrain that no one else would ever think about hunting and set up a feed station or food plot.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know some people have all the time in the world to hunt... Some people live 5 minutes from there public hunting ground...

I live 2.5 hours from my public hunting ground... I'm married and my wife like to see me once in awhile... Gas is 4bucks a gallon...

So When you have limited days in the spring turkey woods and your dealing with hunters from Pa, WV, NJ, MD... It gets under your skin!!! Dont get it twisted BT and J... I have been killing these birds for 17 years... Im just sayin that when you spend days before the opener and have yourself a bird scoped out and you know what tree he's in and opening day comes and you got crow calls and box calls goin off all around you and you have knuckle heads converging on your set up from 4 different directions... I dont care how bad you think you are your hunt is pretty much over... Yea sure you can move around and re set up some were else later in the morning and possibly pull it off... It happens...but in the real world 12 noon comes and all you got is a wet and tired but... And a wallet that is less a 100 bucks...

What it boils down to is... You guys spend a whole hell of a lot more time in the turkey woods than most normal people do... If i had the friggin whole turkey season to chase birds in my back yard id look like a super star on this forum too... But i dont... I only get about 10 to 12 days a spring to make it happen with birds that are 150 miles away... So I cant afford to have my hunts screwed up...

Oh and before i forget... I dont have guys in other states scout my birds out for me and then lead me by the hand to there roost tree...

So as far as you private land vs public land... What ever you say buddy!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
You know some people have all the time in the world to hunt... Some people live 5 minutes from there public hunting ground...

I live 2.5 hours from my public hunting ground... I'm married and my wife like to see me once in awhile... Gas is 4bucks a gallon...
Where in pa do you live?
And why do you choose hunting grounds 2.5 hrs away?
2.5 hrs covers half the state.
I live in nyc and have a place in ne pa(poconos)
From my place in pa I have several places to hunt,
5 places within 5-10 mins,
And just found another preserve 10 mins from me.
If I extend my drive to 30 minutes can find 10-20 places to hunt,
Yes some places may see a crowd certain days especially parking areas on main roads.
But I have a few places on backsides of same game lands that I rarely see a vehicle at the parking area.
1 place 5 mins from been there 10-20 times have yet to see 1 car parked there.
And I don't get to hunt often either.
Am a weekend hunter, and if have plans that weekend there goes my hunting. Especially pa sunday ban.
At my land in northern ny
My land borders stateland. And rarely see people hunting it.
Lands aren't as close as at my place in pa, but if I drive 1 hour, have access to over 300k acres of state lands
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I,ve been hunting this area all my life and pretty much know the area real well... So it's hard for me to go somewere else that I've never been to and start from scratch... Now if I had someone lead me by the hand and turn me on to a bunch of turkeys on another area, I prob would be more pron to go somewere else... But we all know that aint going to happen... Well maybe if I kissed some butt and was a pro staff'er for a call company maybe...

So for me I just dont feel like learning new area's and spending more of that money I was talking about
Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I,ve been hunting this area all my life and pretty much know the area real well... So it's hard for me to go somewere else that I've never been to and start from scratch... Now if I had someone lead me by the hand and turn me on to a bunch of turkeys on another area, I prob would be more pron to go somewere else... But we all know that aint going to happen... Well maybe if I kissed some butt and was a pro staff'er for a call company maybe...

So for me I just dont feel like learning new area's and spending more of that money I was talking about
If the huntin bothered me as much as it does you,I'd quit.As for lots of time to hunt,I got 2 weeks vacation.So it seems we hunt about the same # of days.I know this might be hard for a stud like yourself to believe,but some people just might be better hunters than you.But they get out and hunt rather than cry like a little girl how rough they got it.If you're not willin to change, then you got nobody to blame but yourself.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jalvja
If the huntin bothered me as much as it does you,I'd quit.As for lots of time to hunt,I got 2 weeks vacation.So it seems we hunt about the same # of days.I know this might be hard for a stud like yourself to believe,but some people just might be better hunters than you.But they get out and hunt rather than cry like a little girl how rough they got it.If you're not willin to change, then you got nobody to blame but yourself.
For someone that don't know me , don't know the land I hunt, don't know where I hunt, don't know how I hunt , you seem to have down right bashed and belittled me over your own accusations.

if you hunt your area as long as you say, then you should not have a problem out doing others on your turf LB if your a turkey hunter.

I take affence to your reply as How in a public forum you could say so much untrue accusations. I'll tell you buddy, I would leave you in a world of darkness on any public land you want to choose to tackle. I do not need anyone to help me, I do not get any help because I am a PS for a company, I get less time in the woods in the USA in one State then you do and I still make something of it no matter where I go, even first time management areas.

You call yourself a Turkey hunter,,,,, I call you an A$$ and a Big Mouth on Top....

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 01-27-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now if I had someone lead me by the hand and turn me on to a bunch of turkeys on another area, I prob would be more pron to go somewere else... But we all know that aint going to happen
Maybe it would happen if you lighten up and change your attitude a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.