Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stoked - Bring it on...

Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stoked - Bring it on...

That's right, I said it... I normally hate watching the season approach until it gets here... The wait and the prep and the gear collection and all the crap that goes into my season can be a real drag. Then, I start counting birds.

Normally, about the end of January, I go out and start scouting. Then I go to our first board meeting, and there I realize that what we do is extremely important. Our state Jakes event in Emporia was #1 in the Nation, with my pal Ghib taking Jakes voulenteer of the year... He'll be awarded that at Nationals....

Then we start debating how we are going to spend money. Here's one thing you may not know about the NWTF, That's that the majority of the money stays in your state. Unlike other conservation groups that send it all back to their Nationals, if you spend money at one of our banquets, that money goes towards your state.... For instance, at our last meeting, we give money to wildlife and parks to purchase more public hunting area. We also gave them 18,500.00 to help fund a quail conservation effort in Eastern Kansas. Then we spent 6000.00 on 4H shooting programs, and NASP, and so on and so forth... I'd like to thank the folks who attend our banquets and help make things like this possible. It's those of us that fight and fund efforts to make shooting events and land possible for our future...

Now, I'm looking out to the Governor's hunt, where we are currently taking applications for the youth hunt. We are also taking applications for the scholarships... All available to our future hunting generations...

So, while I may seem crabby and whatnot all the time, inside I'm full of pride, knowing that I am doing something great for the future of hunting, and that when it's all said and done, my buddies and I are gonna go pound some gobblers, and have a few beers, and talk smack to each other... Cause that's what it's all about to me...

So, good luck this season, I'll be out there sharing the woods with ya, sleepin under a tree....