Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New to the Turkey team. List/gear overview? >

New to the Turkey team. List/gear overview?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to the Turkey team. List/gear overview?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default New to the Turkey team. List/gear overview?

Hey guys, this spring will be my first turkey season. I will be hunting on a buddies 70 acres in south/central Missouri. It is mostly consisted of about 3/4 woods (pretty thick in spots) and 1/4 open fields. There is also a creek that runs at the bottom of a slight incline that overlooks a field ("coved" if you will) by cedar trees. They don't have much luck with deer but supposedly there is a fairly good amount of turkey on their property. Nobody has hunted turkey on their propety since the 70s or 80s, so I don't expect much pressure. Only downside of it is here in MO we can only hunt until 1pm. Does that affect anything?

Anyway, I have started getting my gear together but still have a few items I need to obtain. I am looking for product suggestions and reviews on gear from the vet turkey hunters out there. Please keep in mind I am a college student and don't have a money tree growing in the backyard haha

GEAR I HAVE:
Remington 870 express (20ga.) w/ Primo's Jellyhead choke, Tru Glo Gobble Dot sights w/ Remington Nitro Turkey Shells
Cabela's SilentSuede Camo Pants
Camo Gloves
3 Pack Primo's Mouth Calls (actually practicing alot and getting
them down good)
GEAR I NEED:
Decoys
a camo facemask (prefer mesh I think)
Thermacell Bug Repellent
any other suggestions I bring along

Last edited by mw_Guerilla; 01-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Decoys are optional, sometimes they do as much harm as good with pressured birds, but likely to be an asset with non-pressured ones. If you have a Dicck's Sporting Goods near you, check now for turkey vests, I think I saw some on sale recently (maybe Gander Mountain too). More calls fall into the nice-to-have category, not absolutely necessary. If you get one, might want to consider an all-weather style, so it works in wet weather. I have a River Otter that sounds fine to me. I also like my Priomos Jackpot Slate. Both are affordable. I use a few cheap mesh masks, about $5 a piece at Gander, so I can rotate them and rinse out at end of the day and let dry the next.
One thing I'd add to the list is a locator call or two (owl, crow).
Good Luck.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice! I have a Dick's right down the road actually so I'm going to go in and check it out today. What exactly does a locator call do? I've heard they can be helpful just don't know much about them.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

mw- I just bought a tater III vest from Cabelas and I am not a vest guy, but thing is sweet and not priced bad- $85.

Rubber/water proof boots

Locator calls- IMO you can not go wrong if you get a Palmers Hoot Tube in Maple. The owl hook and the crow call are your number 1 calls for location. Owl for roost (but can be effective in the daylight hours too) and crow calls for day time. Also listen when you scout. If they gooble at something note it and try it, coyote? hawk? geese? duck? cow? seriously.

Dekes- again as state optional. I just bought two of the Avian X. Dicks has a good store brand Deke. I like a jake, and two hen set up. I have a full strutter, but I haven't had any luck with him.

I don't use a therocell, but I spray my clothes with Permethrin and I have had 1 tick and no bites in 7 years of using it.

store calls- I like zink, HS and primo's. They all make a good quality pot and box call. I'd reccomend a slate for the pot and I like the box cutter for my box call.

Your camo- I actually bought a leafy suit. This cuts out the need for camo. I usually wear khaki or bdu's under the leafy suit. Nice thing is it breaths well and you could hunt in a tee and shorts if you chose too, I would not do the shorts, but I have worn a tee in the 90's and stayed cool enough in the shade.

TOILET PAPER or WET WIPES TOO!!!! Also check out EBAY for vest and some of the gear too!

Last edited by firelt72; 01-22-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default gear

I'd make sure the gun is patterned, if you have a real tight pattern and don't know where it shoots you'll get misses. I always carry binoculars and plenty of water. Thermacell is my best friend, and a good slate call, I've got a cane creek slate that I love.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks again for your input guys. I just placed an order on WingSupply. They have alot of stuff on sale if anybody needs anything before this spring season! I got:
Vest
Slate Call
Locator Call
Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

I use light gloves, a facemask, camo pants, camo shirt with green in it, a 12g Remington 870 SPS T with a full choke in it. 5 Remington 3" #5 shells, 2 mouth calls with the little cut in it.
If I take a deek I have a primos swinging hen or whatever it was called... For the most part, I pack as light and comfortable as possible... I don't use a vest or any of the fancy crap the sell, I guess they can give you an edge, but for the most part, it's just more junk to carry around...
Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

The purpose of a locator call is to find a bird without calling it to you. Say you are moving, not set up, and not ready for one. If you use a turkey call, the bird might come running in and see you, since your not set up. Gobblers, however, will gobble to just about any noise. This is called a "shock gobble." So you use your locator, get a response, set up, and switch to a turkey call. They are primarily useful when you are moving.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Myself decoys are a must. Whether I hunt fields or woods I will use them. Use calls you know how to use. Locator call, owl in morning, crow any other time. you wil see these Missouri turkeys are tough to kill. I guess I'm crazy but I carry a turkey vest with every pocket full, never know when I might need anything. Pattern your gun with shells you plan to shoot and find your limitations. Good Luck.