Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Need help learning to use mouth calls >

Need help learning to use mouth calls

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need help learning to use mouth calls

Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help learning to use mouth calls

What reed configuration is the best for someone TRYING to learn how to use a mouth call?

I have tried mouth calls a few years back and never could get the hang of it with them. I most likely gave up on them too soon.

Also any tips or youtube videos you would suggest to aid in the learning process?

I am swithing gears from deer hunting to spring turkey hunting and have alot of time to try and get this figured out. April 16th is a long way away......
Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Spike

I used many different mouth calls over many different years and all I could produce was some very ugly turkey screeching....Then I bought a Hooks Executioner,The first time I put it in my mouth,It was all turkey,I know this sounds like an ad,but It's the gospel truth.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are plenty of youtube video out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2mgBz-m__0

Hint: you would be surprised how little air you need (to blow) to make the call work.

Additionally, the Primos (Mini) Sonic Dome seems to just "set" perfect in the roof of your mouth. - great beginner call !
Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

For what its worth try a two reeded call to start with. Cut the tape back so that it fits and allows you to place the call as far back as possible with out choking. Place your tongue on the call and say "HecK" then slowly allow air out with a SHHHHHHHHH and you should get a high pitch. Slowly take presure off or lower your tongue contact to drop the note tone. As soon as you hear the pitch drop put the presure back on the call or push up again. Up and down,Up and down without taking your tongue off the call and only allowing the pitch to go up and down faster and faster until you put both pitches together as a yelp.....
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

im right there with you, ive watched vids, bought different calls, asked people i know for help, i just cant get any noise out of a mouth call the resembles a turkey lol. Like you i probably gave up too early both times i tried, but its really discouraging when u make no progress at all
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put one in your car, and get comfortable with it in your mouth...............before long, you'll get it !
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for info folks!!!

Keep it coming, I am looking for things that you should do first and foremost and then the next steps to follow.

I wish there was like a step by step guide that says if you get this step down go to the next and so on.

That would be asking alot because it is different for each person but if there where just steps than would be kind of general as far what order you should learn certain things before getting ahead of yourself.

I also beleive alot of people wouldn't give up so easy if there where a series of goals to reach before you get it down.

Kind of like an idiots guide to mouth calls.

Last edited by steve25; 01-17-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:26 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I agree with Adrian and Ridge Runner, start with a double. It's going to take practice so blow em whenever you can. I talk a lot of turkey on my way to work before season starts. Keep trying until you get a basic yelp down, after that the rest will come.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Spike

I cant run a mouth call to save my life , all i get is gagged for my effort , ive come to the conclusion that some people just have to strong a gagreflex , i have become quit good at slate and box calls to make up the short falling ,lol
Goos luck
GE
Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Spike

Cut the tape back so that it fits and allows you to place the call as far back as possible with out choking. Place your tongue on the call and say "HecK" then slowly allow air out with a SHHHHHHHHH and you should get a high pitch.