Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Mid-life Crisis in need of a turkey fix! >

Mid-life Crisis in need of a turkey fix!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mid-life Crisis in need of a turkey fix!

Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Mid-life Crisis in need of a turkey fix!

Ok first post so please be gentle...

Me and a buddy have decided to go for the Grand Slam (not in one season, but a lifetime). We live in Alabama and have already killed Easterns so we are 1/4 of the way there. From the research I have done, the Merriam's will be the next-most cost effective because of the availability of public land. But we are looking at a minimum 20-hour drive to get to them. Which brings me to the reason for this post... The Black Hills of South Dakota is mentioned a lot as having the best opportunities for taking a bird on public land. But to be honest, driving that distance to hunt for a new species on new terrain is quite intimidating. We are both 40 years old and in pretty decent shape, but we're not spring chickens either. I guess what I am asking is: what are we getting ourselves in to? In your expert opinion, would we be better off with a semi-guided hunt on private land?

I have trolled the archives and have found a ton if good information already. Any further help you guys and gals could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

First off welcome to the forum Im inpursuit for a grand slam myself and Im fifty. Im headed to Florida for my Osceola. I have killed many Easterns as well. My Florida hunt will probably be the most expensive. I am using a outfitter but its not a guided hunt, but its private land. In my experience of traviling to different states hunting easterns I have found that using an outfitter is the way to go. I dont need a guide, but just to be pointed in the right direction. I have hunted public ground in Mississippi and Kentucky and it didnt pan out. So I say use an outfitter since your time is limited. Now if I had time to scout and get use to the lay of the land, hunting public ground is far cheaper, but As I said your time is limited. Hope that helps...
Old 12-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Spike

Thanks Arrowmaster. Ideally I would like to find a reasonably priced semi-guided hunt, but so far I have not had any luck. That's why I was considering the Black Hills public land hunt. Decisions, decisions...

Good luck on your Osceola hunt!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey WarEagle!
Don't over look Nebraska. You might be able to bag your Rio and Merriams in the same state, and it's a bit closer to home.
I'm hoping to bust my first Eastern in AL next spring, hopefully somwheres not too far from Prattville-Millbrook.

PM me if you want information NE.

PS...nice user ID

WDE!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Spike

WDE JoeA. Yes, any information you guys could share would be greatly appreciated... PM sent.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Spike

I drive 26 hours to do the same hunt. Use that intimidation of the drive and new ground as MOTIVATION not a deterent! I did exactly that and tagged out every time I have gone. Plenty of birds and places to hunt. If you've killed Easterns and are 40 yrs old, assuming you have plenty experience at the game, you will have no problem finding birds. Look at it this way, those 'couple million' acres in the Black Hills belong to YOU, just the same as they belong to me, go explore! People tell me I'm insane to drive that far for a turkey and I just can't stop smiling ))) With a couple buddies, I can do this entire trip for a full week with tag included for less than cost of just the tag of a bull elk in Colorado. I'm still researching possibilities to get a Rio now. It's the last one I need.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Spike

I'll admit that the intimidation of the unknown is part of the appeal. I also have to admit that an opportunity to take a trip like this does not come along too often - job, kids in sports, and just life in general has a way of getting in the way..lol I am weighing all of my options right now, but leaning towards the Black Hills.

Thanks for the advice and please keep them coming. The more input the better...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Spike

We have great turkey hunting here in Nebraska.....we have Merriams and eastern both here! Let me know if you want to hunt with us! We have a target rich invironment to saw the least! I will post our website..... www.cedarcanyonoutfitters.com check it out we would be glad to talk to you! Happy hunting to you all!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by cedarcanyon
We have great turkey hunting here in Nebraska.....we have Merriams and eastern both here! Let me know if you want to hunt with us! We have a target rich invironment to saw the least! I will post our website..... www.cedarcanyonoutfitters.com check it out we would be glad to talk to you! Happy hunting to you all!
Linky no worky
Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say this but I got you all beat. I had to drive 31 hours from Canada to get to the Black Hills in SD and have done it twice. Both times was a success taking birds in the hills and down on the parries. I also have taken birds in NE and WY which has hounered me with like 15 grandslams or sometime like that.

The black Hills is very large and there is so much room that you may not even run into others. There is gravel roads that run all though the hills and covering as much ground as possible is always the best. The DNR has maps of the Black Hills and it shows all the roads and any private lands that are normaly small home syeads. I have found that the Merriams tend to migrate to the lower parts of the hills though the winter and start to move back up in the spring so success seem to be a little better around the Hot Springs level.

High pitched calls work great there and allow the sound to travel for distances across ridges and canons. The merriams can move and move fast and can get well ahead of you, so being in shape is not a bad thing. They also are one of the only birds that I have heard gobble in the black dark mornings.

I don't believe you will have any problem at all with your quest and if you get your birds in SD head back down the hill to NE and give it a try too. Just don't forget to take lots of pic's. I made history in SD as I came up with the first monument photo to go public

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.