Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY Fall Opening Weekend

Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY Fall Opening Weekend

My weims broke a flock first day, unfortunately 80 yard out in a field and I watched a very nice formation of 10 birds flying off together way off onto another property. Had a hard time finding any sign and or birds. in just a few days I put in over 15 miles on the dogs. Lot of walking for such little sightings or sign.

2nd day, I walked up on a flock coming up through thick cover. A jenny appeared in an opening, 1st tag filled, good break at the shot, however no call back, rather odd. 3rd day, ran the dogs ragged, went back out in the afternoon, blind called for over 2-1/2 hours (coarse yelp,and cluck or two on a funky ol' box call, and every once in a while a pissy hen with a mouth call), Stood up to leave (had to go back to send caregiver home), and caught movement 60 yards out going in behind a big tree. Dumb luck I didn't get caught. Out stepped two gobblers, they were coming to the call. I waited til 30 yards,and dropped one. Both were similar size. We'll be out taking the dogs rest of the season for my wife,and a few hunting buddies.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Spike

Congrats on the birds! Where in NY are you located? I haven't been able to get out yet due to nasty wind/rain and work. Hoping to fill my tags this weekend.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Nice birds Mike. You'll have to get me up there some time to hunt with you.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Great job!!! Lucky you didn't get busted and it definitely paid off!

Kim
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Spike

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jks84
Congrats on the birds! Where in NY are you located? I haven't been able to get out yet due to nasty wind/rain and work. Hoping to fill my tags this weekend.
Suffolk County season closes today. I guess I'll have to wait until Spring for my next chance at the turkeys. :-(