Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Need advise for a 1st time fall turkey hunter >

Need advise for a 1st time fall turkey hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need advise for a 1st time fall turkey hunter

Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need advise for a 1st time fall turkey hunter

I have hunted turkeys during the spring for many years and have yet to go during the fall.

I think I am going to give it a go this fall and I really don't know alot about it, so basicaly I need all the help I can get.

I don't want to go out hunting not knowing what to expect and what to do. I did that with spring turkey hunting and it took a few years for me to get it down good and I almost gave up during that learning period, glad I didn't!!!!

Thanks
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Spike

Yoru story made think about a new hunting show called killbilliesoutdoors and the first 2 episodes they did they did not get a bird. I am planning on going turkey hunting for the first time next year...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Fall hunting isn't as much excitement (calling, strutting, etc.) so that's why a lot of people don't fall hunt. Most fall hunters have success filling their tag by knowing where the turkey's are/will be and ambush them. (i.e. right place/right time = dead turkey)

Kim
Old 08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Fall hunting isn't as much excitement (calling, strutting, etc.) so that's why a lot of people don't fall hunt. Most fall hunters have success filling their tag by knowing where the turkey's are/will be and ambush them. (i.e. right place/right time = dead turkey)

Kim
Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last fall I shot my first turkey ever and with my bow! I was really excited about that one. I followed what a few on here told me to do. It was to try and locate a flock of birds and bust them up. But, before busting them up try and figure out where they will regroup. Once busting them go to where they may regroup and wait them out. You will hear them calling to each other as they come in. At least last year that worked well enough for me.. I hope this helps you out.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think scouting and food sources would improve your chances in the fall. Scouting helps you find where they are consistantly flocked up at and the food source I would think dictates their movements. It seems food is king with winter coming on so I would think they are near the best food source in their core areas. Last fall I had a tag but really did'nt hunt the birds like I do in the spring. I looked for them while bow hunting deer and only had one chance at a nice tom but he headed the wrong way at around 50 yards and that was that. Right after the season ened as useual a nice tom walks out of the woods about 12 yards from me and gave me so many good shots while he grazed around.That was a lucky bird for sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

I agree scouting is probably your main tactic for the fall.
I haven't hunted wild turkey during the fall mainly because I think it will be too easy for me as I see them frequently around my place.
Once you have patterned the birds you can ante up the hunt as Phil did and try scattering them, then call them back, unless of course you just want to get a bird and shoot one as they come along.
Food is their main concern as the fall comes along so any of the newly harvested wheat fields should offer viewing and a good chance to get one.
Don't forget to pattern your gun and shoot only within the 30 yards range for a clean head shot.
Where there is still a lot of cover be very patient as they are very wary in going out to the open.Usually it takes them a long time to just pop out from the edge.
If you see a flock go out from some corner of the bush, try and go there without being busted. Don't mind the ones already on the field. Wait for others that will be using the same entrance to the field. Also the ones on the field will likely come back exactly the same way as they have came as they know it was safe there before.
Good luck and safe hunting....
Old 09-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

If none of the above suggestions work, try cruising cut corn or alfalfa fields from the road (where legal). When you find a flock, stop & ask permission, many farmers are real protective of their deer, but could care less about turkeys.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 AM
Spike

Actually, there is a Lot more calling involved in the Fall vs the Spring.

Most Fall hunters, traditionally, use Dog's to find, then BUST, the flock of Birds. Then beging to call to regroup them.

One KEY to success here, is knowing WHAT, was in the flock busted.
Group of Gobbler's ?? Hen's ? Hens with 7 month old Poults ??

This helps to know what you want to sound like, during your calling.

If it was a group of Gobblers, ya dont want to talk Hen Turkey, ya want to sound like another gobbler.

Vice Versus with the Hen's and Poults.

Hens and Poults invovled, you will use Hen talk, Lost calls, and Kee Kee Calling. This is the land of the Trumpet and Wingbone calls.

Gobblers, Gobbler Yelps, and not often, these are useually Older, Smarter Birds, been in the game a bit longer, and will take good calling, and Patience to bring to your gun. This is the land of the Pot friction and Box call, long and short, with a good gobbler yelp, same as Roger Parks Gobbler Pot, that call was specifically designed, for Fall Hunting.

Know where your birds roam. If you can not bust em with a dog, some, even run at them to bust them, move 150 yrds oneway-tuther, and start calling them back together.

As in all hunting, knowing your land and Game animal is very helpfull to your success.