Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2011 Hunting Experience

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile 2011 Hunting Experience

On a scale of 1 to 5 how would you rate your Turkey hunt or hunts this year? I had to work through some difficult weather, but overall when it came together for me I would rate my hunting time a full blown 5. The hunts that produced no bird were good as well with some close encounters and challenging situations that I believe sharpened my skills for the eventual success I had a week into my season. Each season is an opportunity to be better the following year when hunting all types of game in my book.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

My hunting was tough this year. But I agree when everything came together it was a 5. I definetly learned a lot and put it to good use. But I enjoyed every minute I was hunting. I have more hunting memories with my buddy and hunting partner that I'll never forget.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

5...this year I had alot of water to deal with here in Florida but from the first morning I began my official scouting in Feb.I heard gobbles, every hunt day I had birds near by,but for one reason or another it didn't work...got my hubby his first longbeard...I had action every day but one and that day I was hunting somewhere I had never hunted before with a friend of mine...then Nebraska, well that was a test...after the mules blocking my shot and then the next day nibbling on my butt, then all of my spooking I did, I'm thrilled I came home with even one bird, had action there every day but one there too, the first day I called in a hunter and had to leave the woods not long after that but I was so blessed this year, as in years past but this year is especially cool because of the gobbling I heard.It seemed like I couldn't go into the woods without getting close to a gobbler...thats unheard of...at least on public land.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Definite 5. Was at a 4 until the last couple of days in Kansas, when I took down #4 and #5 with the last one a real nice doublebeard. Along with the hunting, got to hang out with the Florida group including huntnma, took my first 2 Osceolas, and got to do some air boat riding. Did a video hunt in Kansas, and wish we would have done that at the end of the season vs the beginning. Overall, my best year yet.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntnma
5...this year I had alot of water to deal with here in Florida but from the first morning I began my official scouting in Feb.I heard gobbles, every hunt day I had birds near by,but for one reason or another it didn't work...got my hubby his first longbeard...I had action every day but one and that day I was hunting somewhere I had never hunted before with a friend of mine...then Nebraska, well that was a test...after the mules blocking my shot and then the next day nibbling on my butt, then all of my spooking I did, I'm thrilled I came home with even one bird, had action there every day but one there too, the first day I called in a hunter and had to leave the woods not long after that but I was so blessed this year, as in years past but this year is especially cool because of the gobbling I heard.It seemed like I couldn't go into the woods without getting close to a gobbler...thats unheard of...at least on public land.
Sounds like you had an awesome season with some great opportunities to film some action,it's great that you took your hubby out and got him one to bust. It's usually the husband takin out the wife,nice to hear of a wife geetin the husband out there,good job.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's good to hear about your hunts and I think we all agree getting a bird can't be anything but a 5,but some hunts are full of things which could still make your hunt a good one even without a bird. Who your with,where you are at,the close calls that get the heart pumping and the nerves on end etc. I get a thrill seeing other wildlife as well,it makes the hunt a little better even if the desired game is not in the sights.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Iowa Jaybird
Definite 5. Was at a 4 until the last couple of days in Kansas, when I took down #4 and #5 with the last one a real nice doublebeard. Along with the hunting, got to hang out with the Florida group including huntnma, took my first 2 Osceolas, and got to do some air boat riding. Did a video hunt in Kansas, and wish we would have done that at the end of the season vs the beginning. Overall, my best year yet.
Sounds great Jaybird I know not everyone is thrilled with how things went on their hunts but we can all agree that compared to not being able to hunt at all getting out there and having an opportuinty is far better. I wanted a nice bird this being my second season hunting these great birds and I got worried when it took 8 days to get a setting that had a good chance of bagging a bird. But it all worked out and like you I can't help but give my whole season nothing but a 5.

Last edited by doetrain; 06-19-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would have to rate my hunting this year as a 5 as well.. This was my third year at hunting for spring turkeys. My first year I started late in the season so I never really had a lot of luck. I was trying to hunt just archery on them. I also tried that on my second year with no success. So this year I took the shotgun out instead that along with the fact this was the first year the same area I live in was opened up to turkey hunting. I manage to get both of my turkeys. So it was a great year for me as well..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I would have to rate my hunting this year as a 5 as well.. This was my third year at hunting for spring turkeys. My first year I started late in the season so I never really had a lot of luck. I was trying to hunt just archery on them. I also tried that on my second year with no success. So this year I took the shotgun out instead that along with the fact this was the first year the same area I live in was opened up to turkey hunting. I manage to get both of my turkeys. So it was a great year for me as well..
This fall while Bow hunting I will try to get a bird with my Bow,this is my next challenge Turkey hunting also in the spring next year.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by doetrain
This fall while Bow hunting I will try to get a bird with my Bow,this is my next challenge Turkey hunting also in the spring next year.
I wish good luck on that as well. I shot my first turkey ever last fall and that was with my bow. I followed advise I recieved on here and it helped alot. There is quite a few good folks on here willing to help anyone out if they can..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.