Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2011 Hunting Experience

Old 06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was nice hanging out with ya too Jaybird, you def. had an awesome season...and you survived Mike, that's a bonus in itself, lol.
Doetrain, I think it's pretty cool I got him his bird, lol... I tried for years to get him into turkey hunting, I'd scout for him, he'd have birds around him and he'd go out by himself but just couldn't kill one, he was losing interest, so I had to do something...he's tagged along with me on a few hunts and I think he can do it now,I just couldn't let him go through life not turkey hunting and thats the way it was going but he's got the turkey bug back but now he will be on his own ,lol...nah, if he wants me to go, I will in a heartbeat...If I can help anyone or just tag along on a hunt, I'm there...I feel everyone should at least get to feel the thrill that runs through my body just thinking turkey, lol...I did get some awesome video while scouting but I was/am afraid to post them in fear someone might know where I was hunting, lol...
these are the ones I did post....the audio is better than the video, but everyday was like this almost for me...click on pic

next

next

next..he gobbled and I turned it off, I don't know what I was thinking, lol...got too excited I guess, lol.

just a couple of pics below

At least two are still there and I cannot wait until archery season...

Last edited by huntnma; 06-20-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by huntnma
It was nice hanging out with ya too Jaybird, you def. had an awesome season...and you survived Mike, that's a bonus in itself, lol.
Doetrain, I think it's pretty cool I got him his bird, lol... I tried for years to get him into turkey hunting, I'd scout for him, he'd have birds around him and he'd go out by himself but just couldn't kill one, he was losing interest, so I had to do something...he's tagged along with me on a few hunts and I think he can do it now,I just couldn't let him go through life not turkey hunting and thats the way it was going but he's got the turkey bug back but now he will be on his own ,lol...nah, if he wants me to go, I will in a heartbeat...If I can help anyone or just tag along on a hunt, I'm there...I feel everyone should at least get to feel the thrill that runs through my body just thinking turkey, lol...I did get some awesome video while scouting but I was/am afraid to post them in fear someone might know where I was hunting, lol...
these are the ones I did post....the audio is better than the video, but everyday was like this almost for me...click on pic

next

next

next..he gobbled and I turned it off, I don't know what I was thinking, lol...got too excited I guess, lol.

just a couple of pics below

At least two are still there and I cannot wait until archery season...
It is so much like a tropical jungle looking at your hunting area compaired to mine,Florida is way different than Indiana. The birds fit right in though,they look like they belong in hardwood or swamp/jungle setting. Good looking Toms for sure,I have a couple that survived the season as well and hope to put an arrow in one this fall myself. Good Hunting to Ya!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am amazed to see turkey where I do...looks like something from the stone age, I feel so small, lol.This year I was going after the gobble one morning, after about an hour it stopped gobbling and I had no clue where he was going so I headed out, I got about half way back to where I began and I almost had a panic attack, lol...I have NO fear when I'm going after that gobble ...when I looked around and saw what I was in and all by myself, I got scared to the point where I almost wanted to cry, lol...but I sucked it up and got out, the ferns alone were like 5 feet tall, cypress knees taller than that, water and it was so thick I could hear my bird and occassionally I would get to see his head bobbing by but that was it...but I didn't have any other hunters around me, so it's all worth it.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntnma
I am amazed to see turkey where I do...looks like something from the stone age, I feel so small, lol.This year I was going after the gobble one morning, after about an hour it stopped gobbling and I had no clue where he was going so I headed out, I got about half way back to where I began and I almost had a panic attack, lol...I have NO fear when I'm going after that gobble ...when I looked around and saw what I was in and all by myself, I got scared to the point where I almost wanted to cry, lol...but I sucked it up and got out, the ferns alone were like 5 feet tall, cypress knees taller than that, water and it was so thick I could hear my bird and occassionally I would get to see his head bobbing by but that was it...but I didn't have any other hunters around me, so it's all worth it.
Ma , I miss them scenes so much. Do you have to turn the knife
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

My best year yet even though I only got one Tom.
Funny hey my first two years I tagged out with two birds but something special about this year.
I hunted 21 times only once did I not see birds.
I got busted by some hikers another hunter and finally a Yote.
He will never do that again so that was my first dog and I am now pumped for Coyotes as well.
Just great another thing to take up my time lol!
I learned so much like don't fall a sleep
Never give up even one min before last shot and hens make a strange sound just before they lay down to be bred!
Don't know how to describe that but I watched three hens get bred by one Tom just out of range and they all made that same sound. That sound started the jakes a running
I am going to try a perfect that it is not the squeellin sound but a funny grunt I cant explain.
Do any of ya know what I mean?
Anyways what a great year and I am officially a lifer of this!
Take care
Treebeard
Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Oh ya it was a FIVE!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Ma , I miss them scenes so much. Do you have to turn the knife
yep. I'm twisting, lol.......just kidding...At least someone knows what I'm talking about, lol......most folks would say "yeah right" but we know better
Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Treebeard
Oh ya it was a FIVE!!!
Sounds great Treebeard,you did not have to get but one bird and had a great season and learned something about the hens mating actions in the process. I have not seen the mating ritual live yet so I can't say I know what the noise is. I used the squealing hen call this season by HS and it did get them to look my way but they did not come a runnin to the call nor did they take off running either. A 5 season with one bird harvested,we have this in common,1 bird equals a 5 season.