Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

If Only We Could Take 2

Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking If Only We Could Take 2

In Indiana we only get to harvest 1 Tom in the spring. Since getting my Tom on 5/5/11 I have seen 2 Stud Toms with beards at least 12 to 13 inches long. Coming home last night from a day of trail cam checking and fishing I saw a real nice Tom with what could have been a 13 inch beard 12 for sure just standing out in the open not the least bit worried about all the cars passing by. We have some urban Turkeys around here I would be glad to clear out but they seem to know where to hide until the season is history. O well maybe in the fall they will get to comfortable and I'll drop the hammer on one.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can take 2 in the spring or 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall ( in some areas ). I am trying to get my second bird in it has been proven to be harder now than it was earlier in the season. I never realized I could have bought both tags the same day or most likely would of already had my second bird. They appear to have wised up rather quickly though.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

I agree doetrain.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey be thankfull you got one this spring!!!

Im sure there are alot of people that went home empty handed this spring... Me included
Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I hear you, first year I hunted turkey, 2003, I shot a jake in the first 1.5 hours I hunted, it came in with a tom and I couldn't get around on the tom. Next 4 days I called in 6 different toms to within 20 yards and closer. LOL

Some years you see a bunch , others you get maybe one chance
Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

I hope you do too doetrain!!!

Kim
Old 05-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Hey be thankfull you got one this spring!!!

Im sure there are alot of people that went home empty handed this spring... Me included
I am very thankful to have gotten one this year,I sure don't mean to sound greedy. I hear so many people in our area complaining about all the Turkeys and the mess and ticks they say they spread and I tell them to contact the DNR folks and encourge them to let more be harvested thats all. We hunters don't like being idle for months on end so a longer season or a two bird limit would ease our pain I think.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Spike

That is the beauty of Kansas we get two in each season and we can buy them both over the counter at the same time... Congrats on taking down the one though!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ontario is good in that we are allowed 2 toms in the spring, but, they can't both be on the same day. A few times I have had to wait for the heads to separate and the birds to move away from each other so unless I travel I guess I'll never get a double. On the bright side, it probably has saved me money in tags cause I only buy one at a time instead of both since can't both be used same hunt.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

One good thing about not being able to take 2 birds in the spring season it leaves more for the fall season,but I'm so caught up in deer hunting that I would have to get a turkey by them happening to come by my stand while using my bow. It almost happened for me last year but they stayed out of bow range and that was that.