Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Kansas Walk in hunting

Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Kansas Walk in hunting

I have been to Kansas the last three years and the first two I went on private ground. This year we tried the public ground around Axtell and Marysville and it was OK. Just wondering where everyone goes and how the turkey numbers are in those areas. I know some people might not want to share that info but if you do I would like to here.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

I guess no one wants to share, understandable.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a brother that lives/hunts near Marysville, south of Havensville, and he skipped turkey hunting this year because of poor numbers. He's heard that some type of disease really put a dent on numbers around there.
Our family farm is west about 90 miles west of Marysville, and the turkey numbers around that area are as good or better than in the past. I went back to the farm with a freind and we filled all four tags in two mornings of hunting. Plenty of birds still.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt the walk-in areas very near Marysville/Tuttle Creek. There used to be tons of birds there. Sometimes had 100 within 100 yards of my stand. However, that property was quickly gobbled up by outfitters who scour the walk-in brochure leasing out the best land. I quit hunting WIHA lands due to that. Vast majority of them suck now after being picked over and out-bid.

Also since then, several cold wet springs have decimated turkey numbers.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Well thanks guys I will be going back out next week to fill my last tag but am going back towards the Wichita area on private ground.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Spike

mgreen,

On my 2nd to the last time hunting Tuttle WIHA's, I found a slammer new WIHA land nobody was at. It had an incredible deer funnel I had located using aerial scouting. Hundreds of turkeys too. I took a P&Y buck there and regretted not holding out for a toad. The next year I drove up and there were no less than 4 no trespassing signs on a newly installed front gate alone! I glassed back there and saw these dopes had installed a feeder right in the middle of the 40 yard wide timber funnel. Why I don't know, every buck in the county had to go through the funnel anyway.

That property lasted a grand total of one year in the WIHA program.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Spike

Next time ya go to Kansas Check out Jeffrey Energy Area its up by belvue, Ks there is alot of public hunting and alot of birds as well as Deer. Its not hard to find, thats where i got my bird this year. Good luck
Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys.