Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
new turkey gun and a question >

new turkey gun and a question

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

new turkey gun and a question

Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default new turkey gun and a question

just picked up a remington sps super mag with a thumb hole stock and a 23 inch barrel in mossey oak obsession camo with a extra full turkey choke along with some federal 12 ga 3 1/2 copper plated turkey loads. now the question what range can i get out of this gun i shot it at 30 yards and had a awesome pattern then shot it at 50 pulled it to the right as i jumped with the recoil and had a good wind witch didn't help so from part of the pattern i seen think i will be good out to 50 would i be able to get more range with a different choke? here is a picture of the gun
Attached Thumbnails new turkey gun and a question-new-shotgun.jpg  
Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a Indian creek choke & hevishot 13 ammo
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

IMO - If you feel pretty good about your pattern at 50 yds... Then I'd say you're good to go. Some want to go 60+ and that is totally you to your personal taste/opinion. Of course the thrill is in fooling them and calling them in close - but we all know there's times when he won't come closer so you need to know what your gun can do. If it were me - I'd call it a day!

Kim
Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree and it is always great to know what your gun will do but IMO anything past 50 yards is asking for problems. I try to keep my shots at 40 and under which with my setup always results in a quick kill. I just bought some heavyshot blend and I plan to pattern with the 3 after market chokes I have for my Benelli SBE. I have one that is for hevi shot but it wasn't as good as the custom one I got from Ballistic Specialties when I had them do some smithing for my gun so i never used it. This will be my first try at patterning a blend of 5,6 and 7 hevi shot so i'll try all 3 to see what works best.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The standard for max range is at least 100 pellets in a 10" circle at any given yardage.
Given the correct choke/load combo 50 yards is pretty easily attainable.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Go get the turkey!

-South
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP View Post
how much do they increase the range? what all would i have to do to make this a 60 yard gun? not saying that i would ever have to take that shot but just in case.

Last edited by pearsontx4; 04-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP View Post
He said it all

rw