Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Made the mistake of going to the gun store... >

Made the mistake of going to the gun store...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Made the mistake of going to the gun store...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Made the mistake of going to the gun store...

Now I want more guns....

The only shotgun I have is a Franchi i12. I like it, but the recoil beats up my face. It doesn't bother my shoulder at all, but after a day of shooting it feels like I have a bruise on my cheekbone for the next couple days!! This is what got me thinking on looking at other shotguns...

What I'm looking for is advice mostly. I'm only interested in semi-auto 12ga guns. There is a used Winchester Super x3 at the gun shop (NWTF edition) for $970. I liked the look of this gun and it felt nice. Is that a good price? It looks brand new.
I have had some people tell me I am better off looking for a used Beretta. I don't want the inertia system, gas is fine. I kind of like the 3.5" option but its not real important. What's important is that I don't break my face, the gun fits, and it can have a SLING! My franchi has a wood stock so no sling..a pain when you have to walk 3/4 of a mile to your spot, carrying decoys and blinds and whatever else. I like the camo guns better than black synthetic.

So far I'm considering getting that Win SX3, or looking at Beretta Xtrema 1 (2 is probably out of my price range), or Beretta Urika Optima. I want it for turkeys, ducks, and geese. Not deer, and probably not clays or pheasants.

Advice?

Edit: I like the camo finishes with that "grippy" feeling, so that is a factor too.

Last edited by tsaxybabe; 04-04-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

If a 3" is already leaving some marks on your face, I don't think you would want to go with the 3.5" (unless you're planning on going waterfowling with it--steel kicks a lot less). I have had some issues with bruises under my eye, but that had more to do with my shooting style than the gun. When I changed where I was putting my hand on the grip and how far forward my face was on the comb, the problem went away, so you may not need a new gun. But if you feel like your current shotgun needs company, the winchester SX3 is a fine weapon, but would also suggest you take a look at the browning silver.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pround owner of Beretta Extrema.

I'm 5'6"; so I've removed all the "shims" in order to shorten the LOP.

I use it for all the same game/shooting you've mentioned with 3" & 3.5" loads.

Works like a champ !!!

Never noticed the recoil, while I'm smiling at those downed birds.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I will consider more heavily the Xtrema. The shops in my area don't have Brownings unfortunately.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The X3 is a great gun that is pretty easy to get good patterns out of, but that price does seem a bit steep.
The face slap you are getting from the Franchi is due to gun fit or poor form, either of which are fixable.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I thought maybe it was just my form or something too. However, I had my fiance, his dad, and another friend all shoot it and they agreed they all had sore faces afterward. I'll research more about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

If this is the one you are using, I blame it on the butt plate & recoil pad design !

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/i-12_waterfowl.php

I loved the "new"' at the time Browning Cynergy O/U, but the original had the same design.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...field-firearms

So, when they came out the following year with the classic stock/butt plate; I brought one (o/u that is).

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...field-firearms

You may have seen my previous post - I use my Beretta Extrema for a turkey & waterfowl gun !
Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Super X3 and I really like it. In fact I just got it patterned today. The "Dura Touch" is a feature that I like as well. It grips good in your hands but it does not allow the stock to "slide" across your face as a wooden stock would. The SX3 should come with a set of shims that will help you get a better fit but there is nothing like having a professional get you set up correctly if the problem is that bad. I'd work on the price just a little too!!!

Good luck!