Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Do you really need a camo shotgun? >

Do you really need a camo shotgun?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you really need a camo shotgun?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
I had one camo gun once - laid it down and never found it!

That is Matte finish though.

There are times I do beleive that in sunlight and a high gloss blued barrel it may cost you a bird.

There is a few other factors to consider.

My Duck gun is camo (can double as a turkey back up if needed) and that Camo finish is far easier to take care of. It rust very little if at all.

So as Adrian said - Camo from head to toe and even with the gun - it may help you in some tough situations. But planning ahead and being in the shadows many a Gloss finish had killed a turkey. Done right all the Turkey should see is a "O"

JW

Well put JW! And my oh my... just look at that paintbrush!!!

Kim
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Spike

Camo looks good and it's a selling point,however I do feel that if a gun with any sheen to it poses the posibility of spoking a bird or even a deer if it's a sunny day and the sunlight catches the finish and creates a flash or glare.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

haha
They just look cool!
I have used a black synthetic pump since the very first day I started turkey hunting, & I can easily say that it will do the trick... many times... lol

-South
Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Camo is not needed, but there are times when it could help. However I wouldn't go out with a shiny blued barrel. Have you ever seen somebody carrying one a couple hundred yards away in the sun before? The are very shiny. I think you would be alright with the gunsock or tape though.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

For years all I had was wood/blued and never had a problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, but it certainly doesnt hurt, and there are so many cool things you can do to customize your gear. Some UltimateCamo on a dipped turkey gun.

Last edited by Diesel77; 04-04-2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added a pic
Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

My grand dad never used camo on his guns. They were always regular wood stocks with blued barrels.. He said you dont need all that camo to kill a turkey... Just patience, a little luck, lots of scouting, a good turkey call, and a good hiding spot in the woods!
I would tend to agree with him... I just happen to have an 835 ultimag thats camo because I got a great deal on it!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Not in my opinion, just like the rest of these folks are sayin'..stay still and you will tag your bird.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by radlad31
It's a marketing gimmick. I've been turkey hunting for 10 years now and not once have I been busted for not having a camo gun. The only time they've seen it is when they see the flash from the barrel for the briefest of nanoseconds.
i Agree, totally a marketing gimmick
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Diesel77
No, but it certainly doesnt hurt, and there are so many cool things you can do to customize your gear. Some UltimateCamo on a dipped turkey gun.

haha first time i would lean my gun up against the tree to take a leak it would be gone for good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.