Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

cold weather

Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default cold weather

i was wondering what all you guys thought about this cold weather were getting in the midwest and im sure north of here. do you think it will slow the breeding phases at all or are turkeys like deer they will do the same thing reguardless of temp? i think it may set them back since im still seeing toms all bunched up still
Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

It was around 30 degrees here in Indiana yesterday morning and I did see a tom strutting. I doint think it will slow the breeding down much at all.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya i dont think it will slow it down much either.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Cold maybe, but what about snow?? Still alot of snow here and haven't seen any turkeys in the feilds or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

man how much snow do you still have on the ground? went out yesterday morning and they are starting to gobble a lil. still all together 15 longbeards i hope they do that would be fun.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Last year in the Texas hill country we had sleet, snow and wind about 35 to 40 mph out of the north and so cold we did not hunt in the a.m. Your are reading right Texas hill country sleet and snow. That afternoon 4 of us kill 3 long beards in about 30 min. of hunting. I hunted less than 5 min for mine. The 4 of us saw over 75 turkeys that afternoon. The other hunter killed his long beard the next morning. It either does not bother them or the cold shock made them move to keep from freezing to death. Jim
Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tedrow
man how much snow do you still have on the ground? went out yesterday morning and they are starting to gobble a lil. still all together 15 longbeards i hope they do that would be fun.

Still a good 6 in, more in some spots. 9 degrees outside right now.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

brrrrrr. its 22 here. but sunny and pretty out!