Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey hunting help

Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default Turkey hunting help

Hey I'm new to this forum and I need some help. So I live in placer county california and I want to hunt turkeys I have no clue what I need . All I have is a juniors hunting license. So If you guys could help that would be great. Thanks -jake
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Spike

I would suggest looking on youtube for tips and the basics i would start out simple a slate call or a box or even a tube call would be easy to learn and the quickest mabye a ground blind a couple of decoys a bunch of camo but im no expert hope this helps
Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Jake! Welcome to the Turkey Forum and the wonderful obsession of turkey hunting!!!

There are some really great resources on this forum. Check out the tips/tactics section on this forum. TONS of great info there.

Ideally, it's great to have someone to take you out. But like me, I didn't have anyone. I had to take what I learned here (LOTS of people helped me!!!), in books, from TV and NWTF website and work it out. You may fumble through your first season and make mistakes - but that's how you LEARN and return for your REVENGE!!! LOL

Do you have a good place to hunt? Have you done any scouting there? When does your season open?

If you don't have any calls - a basic pot call is usually easiest to learn. There is a great thread in the tips/tactics section that explains the different types. What gun are you shooting? (choke tube, shot, etc.)

A blind is a great investment... They allow you to get in the action without getting busted so easily. If a turkey see's you move - game over.

Find a place to hunt, Scout and find the turkeys, have a shotgun that you know it's capabilities, Learn the basic calls and prepare yourself to have LOTS of patience.

Understanding the basics of turkey behavior will help you immensely. When and where they roost and fly down, where they feed, when they breed, where they strut and dust, etc.

As JW would say, THINK like a turkey = KILL a turkey!

If you can give us some more details, we can help you more!

Kim