Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth calls?

Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mouth calls?

Are you guys able to make all types of turkey calls with one mouth call?
Yelp, cutt, cackle, gobble, cluck and purr?

Are do you find certain mouth calls do certain ones better? For instance 2 or 3 reed, certain type cuts on the tape, reed thickness.
I have a couple of Hook's calls and each 1 does certain turkey calls better than the other. The Executioner makes most sounds pretty good, it is hard for me to do soft calling with it.

John
Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Spike

my pop taught me how to use a diaphram call when i was 12, over the last 20 years i have tried many different types and manufactures of turkey calls. my call of choice in the fall and spring is the doube reed diaphram and the best one that i have found is the tuscorora legend. i have been reading and purchasing materials to make them myself, i have not made one yet but hope to soon.
With the double reed you can cut, kee kee, pur, yelp...etc. i have not been able to produce a realistic gobble sound with the diaphram, but am working on it.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

To anwser your question - No
from a Compatition stand point - No

The average mouth call can do a number of calls but to do them properly other different cuts in the top reed will produce a better sound or tone doing anyone of the different calls.

A purr is done better on a V cut over a clear two reed call. As for turkey hunting , the turkeys don't seem to bother as long as it sounds close...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

just gotta try different calls to see what you like the best for me the primos calls are the best for me i can get the sounds i like out of them and they are the most comfortable for me and thats most important for me
Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

hooks and woodhaven custom calls are the ones I use.....
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woodhaven brand diaphram calls are what I use. They fit my mouth and I have been able to call fairly well with their construction. I have also use HS Strut brand diaphram calls. Some of the others just do not fit my mouth as well. I do find a V-Cut, double reed a very versitile call.

I whole heartedly agree with AJ Hare's point about sounding "close". No doubt that the call does need to be close, made at the opportune time, and not over done but certainly not exact .... look at it his way, I figure that no hen sounds exactly like any other hen, so maybe I sound OK. Lord knows that if it had to be "perfect", I'd never have had a chance to call a Tom in close enough for a shot.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Spike

It's my opinion that a diaphram call is a must have in any turkey woods. With that being said theres only one thing left to say... QUAKER BOY. I usually try of couple different calls every pre-season but I always pop the Quaker Boy Hecklin' Hen in my mouth on opening day. If you haven't given them a chance I suggest that you try a couple.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im with OptimO...QB, but also have two from Woodhaven, Red Wasp & Copperhead...they sound good to me, but it's the gobblers' opinion that I'm really concerned with.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA
Im with OptimO...QB, but also have two from Woodhaven, Red Wasp & Copperhead...they sound good to me, but it's the gobblers' opinion that I'm really concerned with.
I have a Copperhead...pretty raspy sounding call, which can be good. My favorite call is a Rocky Top Game Calls diaphragm. They have different color calls, and it is the white one that I like best. A close second is The Will Primos Primos Signature Series.

The majority of calling I do in the woods is with mouth calls. I have practiced the most with them, therefore I get the most consistent sounds out of them. One is almost always in my mouth when driving. I do use a few pot calls, but never use a box call...lots of people use them exclusively, just not my cup of tea.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Spike

I threw all my box calls in a burn pile... I can't stand box calls. I did have a pot call that I really fell in love with but I sat in a mud puddle one morning and the compressed wood pot soaked up the water and it totally ruined the call. The call was The Wood Witch by H.S. Strut, do they still make this call??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.