Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Which Gobblin' Thunder tube? >

Which Gobblin' Thunder tube?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Which Gobblin' Thunder tube?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which Gobblin' Thunder tube?

My buddy bought a Howler tube and is so happy with it that he is going to replace his current turkey tube with a Gobblin' Thunder. He is trying to decide which constriction to choose. He is going to be shooting lead through his Remington SuperMag. Anybody have any suggestions?

BTW, he sent a pic of some of his Howler patterns to Kicks and they posted them on their site. Click HERE to see them. Oh, and I supplied the cardboard, so I'm kinda famous too, right?? lol

rw
Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Spike

I've use a .665 GT choke in an 870 for a bunch of years now. I use Winchester Supreme 3" 1-3/4 oz. of #5 shot through it. Your buddy won't be disappointed with the Kick's choke for turkeys either!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

I'll tell him that. He's actually got about 9 boxes of the 3" 5's that he got on sale a couple years back. Hopefully they pattern well!

rw
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Spike

I'm betting they will! They work so well out of my 870 that I've never felt the need to try anything else. But, if you have a gobbler in close, you've got to take good aim as the margin for error is small. Here is a 10 yd. test pattern from a few years back....

Old 02-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

That is definitely the biggest downfall of our new chokes and loads. They hold tight out to remarkable distances, but like you show here, you had better aim your scattergun like a rifle. I shot a tom last year at 7 yards with a 3 1/2" #6 Win HV and hit a bit lower than I had intended... it put a hole in his crop about the size of my 5 year-old's fist! Luckily the shot just clipped the very top of his breast.

rw