Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
First time turkey hunter - help please! >

First time turkey hunter - help please!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First time turkey hunter - help please!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

To find the Ethical maximum range to shoot a turkey at you need to know what your set up shoots a good pattern at. I shoot a Rem. 870 with Nitro 4x5x7's and a Rhino ported choke tube. I get 64 pellets in a turkeys head and neck at 40 yards.
So for me I could shoot past 40 yards easily and make a clean kill, that said most of my shots are 30 yards or less.
You want that gobbler to come in to 30 yards or so.
I pattern my 12 g. at 30 and 40 yards, I would suggest 20-40 yards, I can kill a gobbler past 40 but I wont shoot past that because I don't want to risk a bad shot.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Spike

from what i have learned, is this might sound silly, but it is SO important to know that there is a bird population where you wish to hunt and know where they go. Fall look for food areas acorns (oak trees) corn fields, and for spring look for strutting zones (open areas felds). again this might sound dumb but you need to just sit there, learn what different calls the birds make and respond accordingly. i cant stress enough the just sit and listen part. trust me when you walk around it seems that every bird, and animal knows your moving, once you sit everything comes alive. just sit and listen i have the best action (birds talking) when i just sit. its relaxing and keeps the heart going. theres nothing like sitting in the woods and listen to a hen yelp, i love it.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks all!

I got some cabelas brand decoys and they seem pretty good. I also bought some mouth calls with an instructional dvd that I haven't been able to watch yet. I plan on getting a box call to, and going to see if I can talk to some birds before the season starts in april.

Anyone care to recommend a box call for a beginner?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need a copy of "Learning the Ropes of Wild Turkey Hunting" DVDand its all learning and shows you the the proper ways all in the field.

As for mouth calls start off with a double reed call and practice...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

When you get in the woods calling to your birds before season, be careful and don't let them see you! The safest time to move in the presence of a gobbler is when he's behind a tree etc. or his fan is to you, other wise you will probably be seen. Sent is not important. Pattern the birds if you can and don't keep calling to them.

Mouth calls take practice you will gage a lot before you get the hang of it but they are indispensable! Mine is always in my mouth when I hunt and you can combine calling with it and another hand held call to make it sound like you have several hens or a hen and a gobbler.
Good luck, be safe and Ethical