Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey Hunting Advice Needed >

Turkey Hunting Advice Needed

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Hunting Advice Needed

Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default Turkey Hunting Advice Needed

Hi All,

I am looking for some help from the rest of you to help me setup a turkey hunt in the USA this spring. We are novices to turkey hunting, and are looking to come down (we are from Canada) and experience this challenge.

First off, when is the spring season typically open? From some quick research I have done, it appears that the season opens in April in many States?

Second, any special reg's I should be aware of? Any restrictions on Canadians hunting in the USA?

I am thinking somewhere in Illinois, Indiana, or Missouri as the most likely place we would like to go. Can anyone recommend an outfitter for those States? Or someone to contact about setting up a hunt.

I am starting from scratch here, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

Go to the hunts and outfitters section, scroll way down and I have a spring hunt and a fall hunt listed for North West Missouri.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

Check your private messages.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums. I sent you a pm as well...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well let me guide you towards some informatiom on Border jumping turkey hunts.

First Illinois is a draw and is not easy top get a tag.

Indiana is a great state for Easterns and some of the heavest birds I've seen.

Missouri is about the same as hunting Ontario in south central.

To get your gun across you will need to buy a licence and apply through the ATF to get approval to take your gun, or borrow one when you get there.

My thoughts on cross border hunting was always why hunt the same birds as you are hunting at home. If your spending money spend a touch more and hunt something you can not hunt normaly. There are a number of States close to Missouri that you can hunt Merriams or even Rio's or better yet go on a trip and enjoy the Sun ,Sand , Start of a slam with an Osceola in Florida.

I've spent countless hours on the road from corner to corner of the USA hunting these birds and have a very good over all view on the best bang for your buck and with the dollar value , this is the time to save for these type of trips...
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
First Illinois is a draw and is not easy top get a tag.

Indiana is a great state for Easterns and some of the heavest birds I've seen.

Missouri is about the same as hunting Ontario in south central.

To get your gun across you will need to buy a licence and apply through the ATF to get approval to take your gun, or borrow one when you get there.

My thoughts on cross border hunting was always why hunt the same birds as you are hunting at home. If your spending money spend a touch more and hunt something you can not hunt normaly. There are a number of States close to Missouri that you can hunt Merriams or even Rio's or better yet go on a trip and enjoy the Sun ,Sand , Start of a slam with an Osceola in Florida.

RE: Cross Border hunting, we don't have turkeys in Sask, so we can't hunt them at home. As well, our work commitments dictate that we hunt as early as we can, so the April 26 opening date in Ontario doesn't work for us, thus we need to head further south.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. This all helps with the trip plans.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fridayinthefield
RE: Cross Border hunting, we don't have turkeys in Sask, so we can't hunt them at home. As well, our work commitments dictate that we hunt as early as we can, so the April 26 opening date in Ontario doesn't work for us, thus we need to head further south.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. This all helps with the trip plans.
Turkey and Turkey Hunting Mag and the NWTF Caller normaly has an all State season dates and bag limits in it every year around this time.