Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Hunting

Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Spike

Default Turkey Hunting

Ive always wanted to get into turkey hunting, went a few times never killed one. Im really going to get into it this spring. So what gear should i get for it. Already have a shotgun, can shoot turkey loads. Im wanting to know like what type of calls, use decoys?, tips on calling and tips on hunting them. I have a very good place to turkey hunt, its a big feild with woods on both sides. Usually see a turkey everytime i go while deer hunting.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the turkey forum. My suggestion is to read up here in our forum. You will find answers to many of your questions.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

You should find everything you want to know here. If you already have a good place and a shotgun, you're getting there fast. If you're seeing turkeys there during deer season, you'll need to scout there during the early spring, a week or two before turkey season, because they may roost different places in the spring and may strut in a different field than you see them in the fall. Spend a few mornings watching the sun come up and listening and watching for your bird. There are a ton of calls to choose from and decoys too, and every one of them may or may not work for you. Start simple with a call you can use, even if it's limited in sounds it can make. I started out in 1982 with a Lynches world champion box call and still use it today. If it works don't fix it. My first turkey calling experience was practicing on caged birds at a farm. I simply made different sounds until I got the gobbler stirred up, and trying to tear the wire down. Then I went to the woods and got the same reaction from wild birds. I spent a lot of time watching birds on the roost and imitating their calls, noticing which sounds calm them when they're scared and which calls make them nervous. Don't worry about defining the call's you make, just call, if it works use it again, if not don't. I also learned to move in and out of roosting areas without spooking them while learning to call them. Plan on spending a lot of time learning and don't plan on your first bird for a few years. If you get one right away great! But don't give up too soon if you don't. I shot my first turkeys by walking them out of ditches and wing shooting them like quail in the fall season. It took time to really learn to call them, although I got lucky my second year and called one in, in spring. I didn't use decoys for years but I do now sometimes, but my average turkey hunt has gone from hours or days hunting to 20-30 minutes out of the truck, it's almost not fun anymore. I spend way more time now teaching kids and first time hunters, than hunting for myself.
My favorite season now is fall, where I go for a nice long walk until I see turkeys, follow them and keep tabs on them until late evening when they go into trees. Then I walk in among them and shoot them on the fly. Legal where I live and a lot of fun, but not even close to easy. The whole month of Oct. is turkey season here and it can take a lot of days hunting to get the two shots you need to tag two turkeys this way. Whatever method you use keep it legal and have fun doing it and don't take anyone serious who says you're doing it wrong, if it works for you, and it's legal, then you're doing it right, so enjoy it!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

as other stated,
lots of info out there,
and just working a field is too vague to offer much advise,
as most hunting learn the birds patterns,
when and where they go,
will definetely want to learn the calls,
can practice that anytime,
get a couple basic calls and practice any time,
mouth calls are common and leaves your hands free,
i find mouth calls a real pain and gag every time,
i prefer a slate and stick call,
what ever call you decide, learn to use it, and get reactions like the other poster,
i often carry a call with me even when just hiking in the woods,
also call them into my backyard in PA.
when actually hunting early morning is key, as they come off their roost very early,
Old 12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reading this forum on different issues will soon give you a great idea what kind of equipment is the best for you. There is some very top notch turkey hunters, turkey killers and turkey information that visits this board and can help you along with most questions you need answered.

Weclome to the forum...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default turkey gear needed

Just get the cheap featherflex jake and hen decoys and use if you are in or on the edge of field. If your sitting in the woods you want the turkey to hunt you. A good slate or glass call and a box call to reach out there if it is windy. The most important thing is patience. I have shot birds the last two years and on thing I have learned is when they are coming closer and shut up it usually means there are getting near gun range so be ready. I enjoy hunting in the open more then sitting in a blind but thats just me, enjoy this great sport it is a unbelievable rush when you shoot a bird. Good luck
Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Turkey Hunting basics

Camo anything will work if you don't let them see you move.

Calls the friction call is the easiest to learn but for close in calling you should learn the mouth call, just get a single or double reed to start. Learn the yelp thats all you really need to bring in most toms, if you are close to a roost the fly down cackle and hitting a tree with your hat can be amazingly productive.

If you have an area you see gobblers in check for south or east facing ridges or gullies and look for their for roosts. Use a locater call just before dark or first light to pinpoint and check roost.

Decoys, I always bring them but I don't always use them it depends on the situation and time, any decoy will work in the right situation, just place it 15 to 30 yards from you off to one side.
Most importantly pattern your shotgun at 30,and 40 or 45 yards so you know if it will kill at those ranges, my set up gets 64 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards= a dead turkey. You don't need that many.
Any way thats my two cents, it works on Merriam's but it is only the basics have fun learning and be safe.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

I've told this before, but, I once took a new hunter to get his first turkey. Told him to meet me early and we'd get him a bird. He showed up late wearing a black coat, purple corduroy pants, no gloves and no head net or even a cap. We went anyway and got to the field pretty late. Just almost too light to cross the field without being seen. Hurried to the spot I had chosen, I called, Big Tom answered immediately, and came running. Told the guy to not move and he didn't, he was facing the wrong way and never saw the bird until a split second before shooting. The turkey came in, CLOSE,strutted and brushed his wing tips against the hunters back. When the turkey got a bit nervous, probably when spotting the purple corduroy pants, he started moving away, across my legs. When ten yards out he passed behind a tree and I whispered to the hunter to turn and shoot where I pointed. He turned saw the turkey pass behind the tree and killed him on the other side. Being very patient and still can work, but cammo will cover mistakes in movement. It was unusually cold and wet so we hurried to the truck and got out of the weather. 20 minutes had passed since we left the truck. The point being that you don't need a lot of gear to get the job done but you do need to be very patient,and if you hunt with someone trust them to watch your back. The hunter never took up turkey hunting, saying it was too easy, and not realizing that he did everything wrong except taking directions when it counted. He never had to scout his own spot, or learn to call, or even dress properly for the hunt. Taking advantage of my experience, and killing a bird so easily,he never learned to enjoy any part of turkey hunting. So keep at it and have fun, you'll get birds soon enough, and in the mean time you'll find a lot of other things to keep you hunting.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

He must have come staight from the Disco!!! SWeet
Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by turkey guide
I've told this before, but, I once took a new hunter to get his first turkey. Told him to meet me early and we'd get him a bird. He showed up late wearing a black coat, purple corduroy pants, no gloves and no head net or even a cap. We went anyway and got to the field pretty late. Just almost too light to cross the field without being seen. Hurried to the spot I had chosen, I called, Big Tom answered immediately, and came running. Told the guy to not move and he didn't, he was facing the wrong way and never saw the bird until a split second before shooting. The turkey came in, CLOSE,strutted and brushed his wing tips against the hunters back. When the turkey got a bit nervous, probably when spotting the purple corduroy pants, he started moving away, across my legs. When ten yards out he passed behind a tree and I whispered to the hunter to turn and shoot where I pointed. He turned saw the turkey pass behind the tree and killed him on the other side. Being very patient and still can work, but cammo will cover mistakes in movement. It was unusually cold and wet so we hurried to the truck and got out of the weather. 20 minutes had passed since we left the truck. The point being that you don't need a lot of gear to get the job done but you do need to be very patient,and if you hunt with someone trust them to watch your back. The hunter never took up turkey hunting, saying it was too easy, and not realizing that he did everything wrong except taking directions when it counted. He never had to scout his own spot, or learn to call, or even dress properly for the hunt. Taking advantage of my experience, and killing a bird so easily,he never learned to enjoy any part of turkey hunting. So keep at it and have fun, you'll get birds soon enough, and in the mean time you'll find a lot of other things to keep you hunting.

I think your hunter was right