Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
new member/ christmas gift >

new member/ christmas gift

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

new member/ christmas gift

Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Welocome to the forum!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kfinley0006
i also have an 835. i like it and only use it for turkey but if i may, i recommend the Indian creek choke tube. You can get one at a local gun shop usually. they are kinda pricy but you wont regret it...best choke tube on the market as far as im concerned. i am also not a big fan of hevi shot... it is way too expensive to kill a turkey with. I use the new 3 1/2 federal flight control shells... i have used both hevi shot and these federal shells and they pattern almost the exact same. i just started using the federal flight control shell and love them! they have an awesome pattern at 40 yards and would not hesitated to shoot at 50 maybe even 60. Even though the 3 1/2s kick like a mule out of the mossberg, you wont even feel it when you nail that gobbler out at 40 yards! :-)
Well I was with you until you got to the thing about Hevi-Shot. Indian Creek makes a great choke. A .675 Indian Creek BDS should be about perfect. I myself shoot a Star Dot .676 choke. It's a hard choke to beat, but I will probably say the Indian Creek choke should come close to rivaling it. My barrel is 28" and I shoot the Hevi-13 2 and 1/4oz #7 loads. I will show you a few pictures.

Here's a 10" circle cut out form the densest part of the pattern at 40yds. That target was shot by using a long measuring tape from tip of choke to target beforehand. 50yds would just be a warmup with that combo.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum, its also my first year of getting into turkey hunting heavy, never shot a model 835 but i did own a mosseberg model 88 when i was younger, my father bought it for me and i loved it, but it broke the ejector piece so i got rid of it and i now have my fathers remington 1100, i shoot remington premier magnum turkey loads #5 2 and 3/4 which thats the only size its chambered for.
Good luck out there and hope to hear some results on the patterns.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkey guide
. some #8 shot in a 2 3/4 inch shell is all you'd normally need for turkey's anyway.
That's a trap load...
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weres those pic???