Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
The best method for getting gobblers in >

The best method for getting gobblers in

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

The best method for getting gobblers in

Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 PM
  #1  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 290
Default The best method for getting gobblers in

One of the set ups I like best for turkey decoys is to put a jake looking towards the woods in an open field while I'm calling. That helps make the Tom come in.

My second best set up is when a Tom and Hens are together, use a kee kee call because hens will go instinctively to the sound of a poult. This method works year round.

WHAT ARE YOUR BEST METHODS?
turkman1 is offline  
Old 10-09-2010, 02:31 AM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
huntnma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: palm bay fl
Posts: 4,504
Default

I locate the gobbler and go from there...no set method to my madness, lol.
huntnma is offline  
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
  #3  
Giant Nontypical
 
Sheridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,130
Default

Pretty boy and pretty girl with a real fanned tail and real fanned wings in/on the pretty boy.

It should be illegal ! LOL
Sheridan is offline  
Old 10-10-2010, 05:36 AM
  #4  
JW
Super Moderator
 
JW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,270
Default

As Ma said ~ do your homework and be where that Tom wants to be. Decoy or not!

JW
JW is offline  
Old 10-10-2010, 06:49 AM
  #5  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 290
Default

When I travel to different states such as Missouri, Florida, Texas, Nebrasks, S. Dakota, etc. I like to try different methods. Sometimes I use decoys and sometimes, I don't. Sometimes I like to use a string method on the hen. Movement works good, too.
turkman1 is offline  
Old 10-10-2010, 11:27 AM
  #6  
Fork Horn
 
gun870guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 339
Default

I don't use deeks, I have 2 calls and a 12 gauge... I don't move around alot and I work to piss off a hen... That's what brings gobblers in. I've had the best success when I work the hens than I ever have workin gobblers...
gun870guy is offline  
Old 10-10-2010, 04:20 PM
  #7  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by gun870guy View Post
I don't use deeks, I have 2 calls and a 12 gauge... I don't move around alot and I work to piss off a hen... That's what brings gobblers in. I've had the best success when I work the hens than I ever have workin gobblers...
I am curious....what sound(s) do you use to make the hens mad?
turkman1 is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 PM
  #8  
Fork Horn
 
gun870guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 339
Default

Originally Posted by turkman1 View Post
I am curious....what sound(s) do you use to make the hens mad?
I yelp.

Here's a good example of what I've been preachin for a while.
Here in Kansas, we have so many turkeys that there is literally no time during the season that the birds are not with Hens. You will have birds hit the ground and make their way to you and the hens will drag them away,
In the old days, huntin the tom was the way to go... you could locate one.. call, setup and kill a bird. Nowadays, its not really the case.
Every flock has a main hen, and she'll have toms with her. She'll answer your calls and cut you off if shes around, cause shes dominate... If I even hear a hen... I cut her off... I'll make 2-3 hens mad and go at it at one time... Hens will come, most of the time they'll come and bust you, but if you can keep the drop on them you'll kill whatever else she drags in with her...

This is also good for times when the birds are henned up and hang when coming to your calls... forget him and move all the birds to where you want them for an open shot.. reposition and setup and try and make a hen mad.

One thing I always tell folks when a bird hangs and stops coming in.. he's got a hen, and shes gonna give him some, if he hangs out... what would you do?

Buncha hormonal paranoid jealous birds... you play them with that in mind and you'll kill them. No special cuts and purrs or any of that crap is required... just cut and yelp over the top of them during their call.
gun870guy is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM
  #9  
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by gun870guy View Post
I yelp.

Here's a good example of what I've been preachin for a while.
Here in Kansas, we have so many turkeys that there is literally no time during the season that the birds are not with Hens. You will have birds hit the ground and make their way to you and the hens will drag them away,
In the old days, huntin the tom was the way to go... you could locate one.. call, setup and kill a bird. Nowadays, its not really the case.
Every flock has a main hen, and she'll have toms with her. She'll answer your calls and cut you off if shes around, cause shes dominate... If I even hear a hen... I cut her off... I'll make 2-3 hens mad and go at it at one time... Hens will come, most of the time they'll come and bust you, but if you can keep the drop on them you'll kill whatever else she drags in with her...

This is also good for times when the birds are henned up and hang when coming to your calls... forget him and move all the birds to where you want them for an open shot.. reposition and setup and try and make a hen mad.

One thing I always tell folks when a bird hangs and stops coming in.. he's got a hen, and shes gonna give him some, if he hangs out... what would you do?

Buncha hormonal paranoid jealous birds... you play them with that in mind and you'll kill them. No special cuts and purrs or any of that crap is required... just cut and yelp over the top of them during their call.
I totally agree with what you said about Kansas! I'm from Illinois, but I go to Nebraska about 4 - 5 times a year - Spring and Fall. In Nebraska while hunting Merriams, there are a lot of birds also and I start yelping like I am crazy and I will bring in 30 - 40 birds at a time. But, when you're in Florida, you have to yelp softly because the Osceola are skiddish birds. The Rio Grande, I found out when I go to Texas are a lot like the Easterns. You just yelp 5 or 6 times and purr.
turkman1 is offline  
Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
  #10  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 115
Default

amazon.com used to have decoys for like 4 dollars a pop and they were foam...use them work just as well and what you do is if you cant get a gobbler to come in what you do is sneak back 100 yards gobble and hurry back to your spot...will keep you from shooting jakes and gets the other bird jealous
syrupman is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.