HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The best method for getting gobblers in
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 PM
gun870guy
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkman1
I am curious....what sound(s) do you use to make the hens mad?
I yelp.

Here's a good example of what I've been preachin for a while.
Here in Kansas, we have so many turkeys that there is literally no time during the season that the birds are not with Hens. You will have birds hit the ground and make their way to you and the hens will drag them away,
In the old days, huntin the tom was the way to go... you could locate one.. call, setup and kill a bird. Nowadays, its not really the case.
Every flock has a main hen, and she'll have toms with her. She'll answer your calls and cut you off if shes around, cause shes dominate... If I even hear a hen... I cut her off... I'll make 2-3 hens mad and go at it at one time... Hens will come, most of the time they'll come and bust you, but if you can keep the drop on them you'll kill whatever else she drags in with her...

This is also good for times when the birds are henned up and hang when coming to your calls... forget him and move all the birds to where you want them for an open shot.. reposition and setup and try and make a hen mad.

One thing I always tell folks when a bird hangs and stops coming in.. he's got a hen, and shes gonna give him some, if he hangs out... what would you do?

Buncha hormonal paranoid jealous birds... you play them with that in mind and you'll kill them. No special cuts and purrs or any of that crap is required... just cut and yelp over the top of them during their call.