Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My First Turkey Ever !!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default My First Turkey Ever !!

Well I had to get up this morning at 3am so as I could be on the road by 4am.. It was around a 3 hour drive for me to get into the fall archery zone for turkeys. It was quite foggy heading out for most of the drive and when I got to the zone I saw nothing for quite a while. After riding around checking the place out seeing nothing but posted land I decided to try another area in the zone. Around 8:30 I saw a nice flock of turkeys and they took for the woods. I checked to make sure it wasn't posted and walked down a field beside where I saw the birds. There was a nice rock wall with a large log laying on it for cover. I tried some yelps and a few cutting calls and waited. I heard a turkey flutter it wings and when I tried to look I was busted and off they went.

So I drove down the road a ways and saw another flock with mostly just toms and jakes in it. I looked the area over and wouldn't you know it. It was posted so no chance of trying for them.

I drove a ways further and discover another flock of turkeys. So I checked it all out and it was not posted so I went in and broke the flock up. They were young birds with hens that flew everywhere. So I found a spot to sit and call to watch for the birds to return which only took around 10 minutes. I see a couple of them and they took running. One stopped up for a second around 25 yards away. I drew back and wham I had just shot my very first turkey every. It was a hen which we are allowed to shoot 1 during our fall hunt. I was pretty excited about getting one with my bow and for a very first bird with a stick and string it feels great. I know some may think well it is just a hen and that is OK with me. I am glad to finally be able to say I shot a turkey!!

Here is a pic of it after I made the drive back home. Also another pic of my 3yr old grandson trying to help papa..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-30-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks R.R. !!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Nice Turk congrats with a bow
Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a fine bird
Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Turkey with a bow is a real challenge, Congraulations. The chance of it either running or flying off after being hit is pretty high. Like a friend of mine said, break the spine, neck or head cause the chance of breaking a leg and wing at the same time is not good.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Phil!!!! That's awesome! Your grandson is proud of you too!!!

Kim
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any turkey with a bow is a true feat. Congrats on a great kill.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks everyone.. Yeah, I agree that with a bow alot can go wrong..It all came together and it felt great.. Thanks again everyone..
Old 10-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Spike

Dont get me wrong here,but Im a bit confused. If you drive upon some piece of land and as long as it has no posted signs you feel its yours to hunt? Simply because it doesnt have signs doesnt mean its for everyone to hunt on. In my state if land is posted you must have written permission from the owner to hunt it,if it's not you must have verbal permission. Im not slamming you by any means only trying to prevent you from getting a costly citation. Im happy that you got you're first bird,but if you were on private land and was caught hunting on it you would find that bird to be really expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.