HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My First Turkey Ever !!
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default My First Turkey Ever !!

Well I had to get up this morning at 3am so as I could be on the road by 4am.. It was around a 3 hour drive for me to get into the fall archery zone for turkeys. It was quite foggy heading out for most of the drive and when I got to the zone I saw nothing for quite a while. After riding around checking the place out seeing nothing but posted land I decided to try another area in the zone. Around 8:30 I saw a nice flock of turkeys and they took for the woods. I checked to make sure it wasn't posted and walked down a field beside where I saw the birds. There was a nice rock wall with a large log laying on it for cover. I tried some yelps and a few cutting calls and waited. I heard a turkey flutter it wings and when I tried to look I was busted and off they went.

So I drove down the road a ways and saw another flock with mostly just toms and jakes in it. I looked the area over and wouldn't you know it. It was posted so no chance of trying for them.

I drove a ways further and discover another flock of turkeys. So I checked it all out and it was not posted so I went in and broke the flock up. They were young birds with hens that flew everywhere. So I found a spot to sit and call to watch for the birds to return which only took around 10 minutes. I see a couple of them and they took running. One stopped up for a second around 25 yards away. I drew back and wham I had just shot my very first turkey every. It was a hen which we are allowed to shoot 1 during our fall hunt. I was pretty excited about getting one with my bow and for a very first bird with a stick and string it feels great. I know some may think well it is just a hen and that is OK with me. I am glad to finally be able to say I shot a turkey!!

Here is a pic of it after I made the drive back home. Also another pic of my 3yr old grandson trying to help papa..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-30-2010 at 04:00 PM.