Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Shifting Gears to Scouting... >

Shifting Gears to Scouting...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shifting Gears to Scouting...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shifting Gears to Scouting...

Okay - so turkey season is over. I think I've adequately dealt with the depression and sadness that's it's over. LOL

Now I'm ready to shift gears and start scouting. I'm going to Fall hunt turkeys this year. I've heard that hunting gobblers in the Fall is much more difficult than spring hunting, but I hope to learn as much as I can about that too.

For those of you who are die-hard "Scouters" - would you mind giving me some advice and tactics on how you scout (best practices). Is there such a thing as "too early"? I'm ready to get out there NOW! Haha If I've learned one thing from my BUDDIES here on HNI, it's that scouting is the one of the biggest keys to a successful turkey season.

Indiana Fall Turkey Season is Oct. 20th - Oct. 24th for firearm.

Thanks guys!

Kim
Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kim, Its a little early to Fall scout yet. You maybe have to wait until closer to the fall hunt and then find the areas where the birds are spending time for feeding.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default food source

They Don't have fall turkey in S.C. but i would look for what they eat in the fall and concentrate on that. Maybe check tracks and find out where the routes they forage are. set for ambush and get some snickers bars and wait them out. Also try to be in the chat room tonight, 18 june havn't heard from you in a while
Dan
Old 06-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

sometimes its as simple as just going hiking but being extra attentive to tracks, and other sign. Just get out there and refine as you go along.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Food sources is the key to fall turkey season and your scouting. What part of Indiana are you from? I am originally from the Vigo/Parke county areas just north of Terre Haute.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

SJ - I'm in southwest Indiana (Gibson County)
Old 07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Spike

Ive heard if you talk gobbler instead of hen(like in the spring) that it works in the fall. Im trying it this October.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fall hunting is a completely different ball game than spring hunting. I usually like to start my scouting early september. Our fall turkey season opens around the 10th of october, and the food sources dont change much usually in those 6 weeks. You have to adapt thoughout the fall season to be successful, as fall hunting revolves 98% around food sources. And food sources change throughout the fall. Once you start scouting let me know. I'd love to help you out.