Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY Turkey

Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY Turkey

Is it me or are the tom turkeys in NY just not looking for hens?? With the exception of opening day, I have not heard or seen a turkey. Now in the afternoon there is a field, about four mile down,( cant hunt there ) along the side of the road, that there are always turkeys there late in the afternoon early evening. There are a couple tom's with about four to six hens. NONE of them are strutting.... I ALWAYS, hear them out back of my house a few weeks before opening day. This year, NOTHING, and still NOTHING.... Am I missing something??? Did the hens all ready lay there eggs?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

it's not just you I did hear some gobbles last Sat but Sun a jake walked past and could care less about my calls and decoy I think because it got so warm in April they mated real early
The most excitement I had was watching a fox attack my decoy that and the 21 pounder my son got opening day
Old 05-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

It's definitely not just you! We had the exact same scenario here in Indiana. It was extremely confusing & frustrating!!! Looks like everything was just EARLY this year - keep at it!!!

Kim :-)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

my NY spots are dead for the most part... i think we missed alot of the action... seemed to happen earlier this year out our way.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard some gobblin but haven't been able to bring one in yet.Even my go to spot is dead.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the breeding gobblers are henned up big time.. I could have shot two strutting longbeards this morning from my truck window, if I were the type of person to do such a thing...One had four hens and the other had three...Tough to kill birds in that situation... They generally don't gobble a lot with hens in sight either..They just strut and drum...Sometimes they'll answer a call, but they ain't gonna leave those hens..

There have been some good gobbling mornings, but mostly they have been pretty tight lipped this year.. Every year is a little different as far as gobbling activity goes.. Don't think for a minute that breeding is over, however... The problem is the same as always..Hens....
Old 05-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

This has been the toughest season in a very long time, I either can't get the ones I locate to cooperate or I jsut can't find them. Bazzaar season to say the least but it's not over. Hens just don't seem to be breed they are all still roosting.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm having a great season. Prescouted several nice toms. Youth hunt my son got a nice tom w/9 1/4" beard up home 10:30am. Opener May 1st down to my camp- 7M area toms were gobbling on roost like crazy, but couldn't work in. Next wknd worked in good tom for my oldest son, couldn't get a shot. He later settled on a jake at 11am. He was home from college, and was his only chance to get out. This past wknd was my turn, and had to work a hen in to get full tom to follow. I dumped him at 0630. He was a ratty looking tom, tail beat up. But never the less a full tom. So my boys & I have had action every wknd.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Spike

I thought it was just me having a tough time. I haven't heard a gobble in two weeks but I see gobblers putting on a show with hens in a couple of fields that I pass on my way home (private land).
Have any of you tried going out for the second part of the morning, say after 9:00 to try to get a tom interested after the hens go to nest? I have had success with this strategy in the past, but it is tough getting out in the wood at that time when the weather gets warm like this weekend is supposed to be.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, I tried going out a little later and still nothing..... I have not heard a gobble 2 weeks, and have yet to see a tom struting in a couple fields along the highway where I have seen them all the time. I keep seeing deer though, guess I found a spot when that season comes around... lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.