Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What choke came with new Rem 870? >

What choke came with new Rem 870?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What choke came with new Rem 870?

Old 03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default What choke came with new Rem 870?

got a new rem 870 express turkey gun and it came with rem turkey extra full factory choke but doesn't say what diameter. Anyone know what this choke is and whether it is any good?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a .687 constriction. Personally I do not use it, but I'm sure there is a shell out there that it will pattern nicely.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default choke

I have one and it patterns well with Win Hi Volocity #5s as well as #6s. The Federal flight control 6 shoots good as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you take the choke out and make sure that it was a Rem turkey extra full? Because mine supposedly came with said choke, only when i took it out for cleaning before I shot it, I found that it was a modified choke. I was actually happy...was going to buy a jelly head anyway, but they were out of stock when I purchased the gun.

But, yes it is .687 if it is Rem turkey extra full. The Rem turkey super full's constriction is .665, but I would still go with something else. If you are ever interested in shooting with steel shot, neither of these will suffice.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My friend has the same gun/choke, his patterns great with the Winchester HV #5
Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, i did confirm my factory choke is the turkey extra full, lead shot only. That means it must be the .687. Can I shoot Hevi-13 #6 thru this choke?

I bought two new chokes this past weekend but have not shot them yet. One is a lesser expensive Primos with .660 constriction for $25 and another Tru Glo Xtreme with .665 constriction for $25. The Jellyhd was .665 and $40 but I did not buy that one.

If the hevi will pattern with my factory choke, i may return the other two chokes but not sure it is designed for it. If not, what are your thought on the two i purchased?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
Yes, i did confirm my factory choke is the turkey extra full, lead shot only. That means it must be the .687. Can I shoot Hevi-13 #6 thru this choke?

I bought two new chokes this past weekend but have not shot them yet. One is a lesser expensive Primos with .660 constriction for $25 and another Tru Glo Xtreme with .665 constriction for $25. The Jellyhd was .665 and $40 but I did not buy that one.

If the hevi will pattern with my factory choke, i may return the other two chokes but not sure it is designed for it. If not, what are your thought on the two i purchased?
The Remington choke is lead only so I would not recommend shooting Hevi thru it.
Personally I would try out the .660 choke first, and then if it does not give you the patterns you want go to the .665 choke. If you are shooting the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6's I have a sneaky suspicion the .660 will be what you are wanting.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not near the expert that others on here are, but I would think that you would be well served to return the 2 chokes you bought, and purchase the jelly head. Saves you $10 and you have a better choke, in my opinion, than the 2 you bought would be.

Also, Remington does not recommend a "heavier than lead" shot through this choke...so neither would I. You COULD shoot it, but would no doubt get less than optimal results. Now, through the jelly head you could shoot it...which brings me back to what I said initially. This is just from my experience. Listen to what some of these other folks say though...they have much more experience than do I.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW...I stated this in another thread somewhere, but I shoot REM Wingmaster HD 3.5" #6's with a jelly head choke in my REM 870 Super Mag and it patterns very well...never under 129 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds...last time I shot, I got 139, 146 and 142.