Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Need help from the experts >

Need help from the experts

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need help from the experts

Old 03-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help from the experts

I am about to pull the trigger on some hevi shot from bass pro. I have a gift card and a rebate so what the heck. All they offer there will be 12 gauge 3" 1 5/8 at 1090FPS....should I get the #4 or #5 shot. I am leaning toward #5.

Also, will this shoot out of the extra full 870 choke???

I have a very good pattern to 40 yards with my current set-up...but if I can try something for free then why not.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

What is this world comminy to.
I gues no one has # 6, or # 7 any more.
If #4, and #5 is all they have, I would go with #5.
Smaller pellets = more pellets = more pellets to hit the neck, and head.
I like # 6's better.

I know its not hevishot, its Winchester Supreme High-Velocity Turkey Shootshells.
From Basspro website.

38-898-261-02
12 GAUGE MAX DR. EQ. 3" 1-3/4 OZ #6 SHOT $15.99 In Stock

38-898-261-07
12 GAUGE MAX DR. EQ. 3.5" 2 OZ #6 SHOT $18.99 In Stock

JMHO

Last edited by jrbsr; 03-15-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

What are the advantages/disadvastages of the these shells compared to hevi shot...and are they both compatable with a stock choke?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Spike

in my 870 using hevi-shot, i used a Rem. extra full choke and #5's with great results. when shooting lead, i used a Kick's tube. i tried hevi-shot thru the Kick's tube but it would throw the shot very low. when i backed off to the extra full Rem. tube, it worked great.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 1-5/8oz is generally considered one of Hevi's worst loads. While you may achieve a good pattern with it you will probably be happier with their 3" 2oz #6 or #7 load.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tennboy
i tried hevi-shot thru the Kick's tube but it would throw the shot very low.
Hevi shot is not recommended for Kick's chokes. Not all chokes are designed for heavier than lead loads.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MichaelP
I am about to pull the trigger on some hevi shot from bass pro. I have a gift card and a rebate so what the heck. All they offer there will be 12 gauge 3" 1 5/8 at 1090FPS....should I get the #4 or #5 shot. I am leaning toward #5.

Also, will this shoot out of the extra full 870 choke???

I have a very good pattern to 40 yards with my current set-up...but if I can try something for free then why not.
Michael, personally I would try something else. I don't know how much your gift card is, but at Bass Pro, I would go with either the Win. Xtended or the Rem. Wingmaster HD. The HD's in 3 1/2 6 shot shoot awesome in my 870 SPS-T with a Jellyhead choke. Both of these are excellent heavier than lead loads.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Michael, personally I would try something else. I don't know how much your gift card is, but at Bass Pro, I would go with either the Win. Xtended or the Rem. Wingmaster HD. The HD's in 3 1/2 6 shot shoot awesome in my 870 SPS-T with a Jellyhead choke. Both of these are excellent heavier than lead loads.
X2 on the Wingmaster HD 3.5 in. #6 shot and jelly head. Patterns very well out of my 870 Super Mag.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be more interested in buying a top qualitycustom choke like a Back Diamond Strike from Indian Creek. Then.... you can get serious about shooting the worlds tightest Hevi-13 patterns. Do your research and the above mentioned choke with Hevi-13 loads and you will see they dominate and hold nearly EVERY N.W.T.F World Record at the championships.... in every class! Simply awesome patterns!

Good luck and good shootin'

Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
The 1-5/8oz is generally considered one of Hevi's worst loads. While you may achieve a good pattern with it you will probably be happier with their 3" 2oz #6 or #7 load.
If shooting a 3" shell you won't find any better than the 3" 2oz from EM