Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Calls

Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Spike

Default Calls

I can't do mouth calls! Friction calls and box calls, I'm decent with. I hunt alone some. Could I be successful with friction calls and box calls....by myself?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Spike

i like friction calls way better i use a real old slate call.... i only use diaphram calls for thick wet woods because they are loud and could scare away the gobblers if not done right.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Of course you can call in a turkey without using a mouth diaphram. You just need to make sure that you are not moving when he is in your line of site. At some point you have to put down the friction call and get the gun up, and this is the drawback of now being able to use a diaphram. I am able to get my gun up and pointed at the turkey long before I see him in the woods, so that is a big advantage to mouthcalls

I completely disagree with the comment about diaphrams being loud. You can learn to call quiet. I love using a real soft three note yelp to get a turkey to commit those last 10-20 yards. That is the last call that many turkeys have heard in west Tennessee. I often purr and give soft clucks on a mouthcall and I'll bet you can't hear it from over 35-40 yards away.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I do awesome with friction calls!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Spike

James,
Are you speaking about diaphrams? If so, go to NWTF's website, listen to the purr and cluck and try to imitate them with your natural "voice". This way you could call them with the slate, then as they get closer, use your "voice" to bring them closer; without having to move a 'see-able' muscle. I did this for several years before I was able to confidently use a diaphram call.
To purr, natural voice, is akin to gargling, varying the opening of your lips and vocal cords. Clucking is acheived by 'popping' my tongue OFF the roof of my mouth, varying the amount of air applied and using my vocal cords to achieve the pitch wanted. Don't worry about being to loud with these methods; unless you have huge lungs and a huge mouth .
Good luck this year!

Last edited by littlekid; 03-12-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer my fav WoodHaven friction calls over ALL others... even mouth calls.

I will ad though that to finish with a friction call.... I'm generally sitting in a blind so I can still throw up soft cluck n' purr.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Yes you can be successful by yourself with box and other friction calls, but it would be very helpful if you can learn the mouth call to bring em in the last bit.
You can call loud or soft with mouth calls and they see no movement. Get a friend that can use mouth calls to help you.