Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Saw some strutting turkeys!  Does this mean anything? >

Saw some strutting turkeys! Does this mean anything?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Saw some strutting turkeys! Does this mean anything?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Spike

Default Saw some strutting turkeys! Does this mean anything?

Every evening, while driving home from work, I have been watching this flock of turkey. Starting yesterday, I noticed that 4 of them were strutting. This is the first time I had seem them strut in probably the last 3 weeks I have been watching them. Does this mean they have started to gobble? Or does it mean anything at all? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

They have been gobbling more and more and starting to strut for the ladies. Still too early for breeding except maybe in the very deep south, but that doesn't stop the ol boys from trying anyway. Call it the "prerut' for turkeys. get out early on a nice morning and they'll probbaly be gobbling like fools. They are also pretty easy to call in this time of year, but I don't reccomend it as it educates them. I do have a couple exceptions, being places that I cannot get any hunting access, but they'll allow me to photo and video turkeys anyway. Very fun to call in birds to photo / video in places like that, and good hunting practice. Almost anyone regardless of their views on hunting won't mind if you ask to photograph wildlife on their land.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen them strut in the field after a rainstorm to dry off... same in the hot sun to kill off some of the bugs and mites.

They are probably sizing each other up and getting ready to sort out who ain't as good as they once was.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Spike

seen a few struting, just starting to hear them gobble.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Spike

Same here...spotting a few here and there...it does mean something..#1 first off mating season is winding up..#2 you need to see about getting some hunting permission..sounds like you're in the thick of it...good luck!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Spike

Haha yeah I think that is the problem. The turkeys have flocked on this field because it is off limits to hunters. They know where is safe and not haha. Thanks to everyone for the info!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still have 2 feet of snow in the river bottom...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Spike

here in Tn I have With the rain today I seen 7 strutting behind my house with hens. Today is the first day I have seen them together last week they were in two groups I cracked the window and listened for a while and i heard 1 gobble and my ol man said early this morning while he was taking a leak on the back porch he heard some gogbbles while they were stil on the roost. Turkey hunting is going to be good here in middle TN in a few weeks
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Opening Day in SoCal is the end of the month- Saturday, March 27th