Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hunting a unit that has not been hunted before? >

Hunting a unit that has not been hunted before?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting a unit that has not been hunted before?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting a unit that has not been hunted before?

Well,

In 2004 I drew a turkey tag here in NV, and was not able to hunt because I had a kidney transplant two days before opening day. I have not since applied.

This year, I applied, and drew! The unit I drew is Unit 091 on the Utah/Nevada border. The birds are Rio Grande. The birds are walk-ins from Utah, and this is the first year for a hunt there. I have talked to a couple people, and have an idea of where to go for birds, and some techniques, but I would like a few more thoughts on the subject. I plan to scout the week prior, and then there is a 5 1/2 week or so season for me to hunt. I should be able to get at least 10 days of solid hunting in no problem. The hours allow to hunt from 1/2 before sunrise to 4 pm.

My plan is to find roosting birds in the evening, and then get within couple hundred yards the next morning before light. I plan to get at least a jake decoy and set it up facing me, and then a hen that I can put in the breeding position, also facing me. I have right now a mouth diaphram call, and will be looking into another call here in the next few days.

The season is March 25-May 5. There are a total of 5 tags for the Nevada side of the mountain. The areas where the turkeys are is quite small, and typical high desert habitat. Most of the birds from people I have talked to will be in the toe slopes of the mountains, where the pinyon and juniper trees are. There aren't a lot of cottonwoods or other hardwood type trees in the area. The snow will be melting, so water will be in most draws.

I have talked to one rancher in the area. He is going to be gathering cows in the area, and said he will keep an eye out and let me know where he sees them when I call him again. I have also talked to another person who is out a lot in the area, and has run into a few, and will keep me posted.

I don't know a whole bunch about turkeys, but do know the obvious, movement, color, concealment, etc, so that will be a learning experience anyway.

My main question for the people here is...

With all of the above in mind, how would YOU hunt, and what approach would you take in locating birds, setting up, how close would you get the first day you see them, would you glass them for a day or two and learn their patterns, etc?

Just trying to get as many thoughts and talk to as many people as possible about this.

Thanks,

Marcial

P.S... I also signed up for the spring turkey contest!