Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

putting down the gun

Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Spike

Default putting down the gun

Well I'm putting the 835 down and picking up the Mathews for long beards this year. Looking for some advice on a good set up.

Thanks guys
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I use my deer setup which happen to be tipped with Grim Reaper Razortips. If you deer hunt your setup would be quite adequate as well.
Otherwise the general consesus is that a large cutting diameter is the way to go. Look into the NAP Gobbler Getters, Rage, and Grim Reaper among others. If you are wanting to shoot them in the head look at the Gobbler Guillotines or the Magnus Bullheads.
Have fun!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good for you. I'm still clinging to my 835 although I keep telling myself I'll use my bow this season. Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

I'll try the bow after the first one is over my shoulder!!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Might want to try lowering your poundage a little bit. All that KE that we use for deer is overkill on turkeys and just more weight you have to hold, sometimes for a long time, absolutely still waiting for that shot opportunity. Also a blind is almost required gear if you want realistic odds of success. Set up in morning strut zones or feeding areas, as this is your best odds...also setting up your blind a few days or more before the hunt helps them acclimate to the new object, esp if your set up is in the open. good luck!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Spike

I have shot a few turkeys but last spring was the first with a bow so by no means am I an expert but I will tell you how I did it. I put the bird to roost the night before so I knew where he would be in the morning. I just put my blind right out in the middle of the field and set my decoys up in front of it. I put my jake decoy about 1o yards from the blind and then my two hens out around the 15 yards mark (yardage markers). Then when light came I started in on the slate and he went ballistic. What i have been told is that when the tom comes in he will first chase off the jake and then tend to the hens. And that is exactly what happened, he actually came running in to beat that jake up.

Going to give a try this spring again and see what happens.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by putt46
Well I'm putting the 835 down and picking up the Mathews for long beards this year. Looking for some advice on a good set up.

Thanks guys

I love bowhunting Gobblers! I've been fortunate to tag several mature Toms over the years and would like to think that I'm starting to really dial in on what it takes to get these birds to present point-blank bow shots.... consistently.

Regarding your set-up question, are you asking specific bow accessory questions of blind and decoy sets?

One thing for sure.... you're going to have an awesome time! I think it's the most exciting hunting I do all year!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Spike

I use the same broadheads I use for deer also. The one thing i do differant is I use a game tracker string. Makes it a lot easer to find my arrrow after the shot.
As far as a blind set up, I dont use one. No decoys either. The woods up here in the north has lots of pine trees. I sit early and still hunt the rest of the day calling every 20 minutes or so. When I get a gobbler talking. I tuck myself into a pine and call him in. If he lets me that is.