Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Does MOA really make a difference? >

Does MOA really make a difference?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does MOA really make a difference?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does MOA really make a difference?

I just recently purchased a red dot scope and it has a couple different reticle options. Can someone explain what MOA is and will it effect my accuracy with turkey hunting seeing as my longest shot would be 45 yards.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ek_buckmaster
I just recently purchased a red dot scope and it has a couple different reticle options. Can someone explain what MOA is and will it effect my accuracy with turkey hunting seeing as my longest shot would be 45 yards.
Well, one might have assumed that a true "buckmaster" would know what MOA is

MOA is an acroynm for "minute of angle". It refers to the degree of seperation of two angular lines as they get further from the point of origin.

Basically, there are 360 degrees of angle in a circle (90 degrees in a right angle, or the quarter of a circle) Each degree is further divided into 60 minutes of angle. Furtunately a minute of angle equates to 1.047 inches at 100 yards.

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html

As it relates to a red-dot scope, MOA applies to you in two ways:

1. Centering the point of aim (zero). You will need to shoot some shots and move the reticle to get it on the center of the pattern. Each click corresponds to either a 1/4 or 1/2 moa typically (check to see what it is with your scope). So for a 1/4 moa/click scope, moving reticle 4 clicks moves a POA 1 inch when at 100 yards, but only 1/4 inch at 25 yards and 1/2 inch at 50 yards. With Shotguns I prefer to shoot at 25 yards so each click at that distance is only 1/16 inch. 16 clicks to move it 1 inch, 32 to move it 2 inches, etc. I am aware that some red dot scopes move the reticle 1 moa per click, so that would be 4 clicks at 25 yards to move 1 inch.

2. MOA size of the dot: This refers to the size of the dot expressed in MOA. A 4 MOA dot would therefore cover 4 moa at 100 yards (approx 4 inches). For a shot at a turkey at 25 yards the, the dot will subtend (cover) 1 inch in size, 2 inches at 50 yards and so forth. The larger the MOA of the dot the bigger the dot will be on the target.

These are pretty small dots you are using to aim at a target as large as a turkey inside 50 yards. They would not be suitable for precise aiming at small targets beyond 100 yards but for a turkey at shotgun range they are ideal.

Last edited by mouthcaller; 02-15-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

rifle or shot gun? in a rifle when you fire the bullet the barrel vibrates, small movement but can be the difference in havin a 1 " group or a 5 inch group. depends on your moa where the bullet hits. shot gun? i dunno
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your help!! Now i understand.. The only thing i dont understand Mouthcaller is where the 380 comes from, i always thought that there were 360 degrees in a circle haha
Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ek_buckmaster
Thanks for your help!! Now i understand.. The only thing i dont understand Mouthcaller is where the 380 comes from, i always thought that there were 360 degrees in a circle haha
Right you are sir - touche. 360 degrees in a circle and I edited my original post. Thanks

Fingers running faster than the brain.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mouthcaller
Right you are sir - touche. 360 degrees in a circle and I edited my original post. Thanks

Fingers running faster than the brain.

Yeah no problem and once again thanks for your help! Now i just gotta pick up my new gun and get it ready for the season!!