Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What kind of decoy

Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What kind of decoy

would you prefer a hen, gobbler or jake decoy during the spring. i haven't turkey hunted much so i don't know which works better at attracting mature gobblers
Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

jake tending a hen is what I like
Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here it is;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23
Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Do you like the gobbler better than the jake?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I like the tom decoy better then the jake. I use the pretty boy and pretty girl decoys they work awsome.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

ive done alot of "experimenting" with decoys... mainly ive used a jake and a hen and tried a few different set ups with that... we tried a mounted full body strutting tom one time... it didnt work very well just because it was heavy and the birds werent on that day.... last year my dad had a jake fan laying around so i decided to shove the tail of the jake decoy inside the body and i screwed the fan onto the decoy... we shot three turkeys in 3 days using that all three came running into the decoy... when my brother shot his it was at about 4 yards in full strut and trying to beat up on the decoy
Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

get the softest one on the market so you can have a good back rest during the mid day nap time, bout all they're good for in most situations.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've been looking at the pretty boy and pretty girl and also the She-mobile and jake-mobile. which ones would you prefer
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Any decoy brand should work, I prefer light ones that fit in my pack a jake and 2 hens. Although most of the time I shoot toms without decoys.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

I would preffer the pretty boy and pretty girl combination they are a little more heavy but they work awsome i have shot six birds in the last 3 years with it. Every bird i shot in the last three years was with these 2 decoys. For me they seem to work great. Last year i shot a tom that had a 10 beard, 1 inch spur and weighed 20 pounds. And it pulled him away from an entire group of hens so they sure do work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.