Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What kind of decoy

Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

They keep improving the decoy appearance every year!! Currently own three feather Flex decoys, 2 hens and a jake. Might go to a much more realistic looking three-some this year.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I think the Primos Strutting Tom is just as nice as Pretty boy - works just as well - is lighter to carry. I don' care at all for the Pretty girl decoy.
I stuff a bobble head hen and a full bodied hen in the Primos decoys shell and carry all of that. The full body is placed right onthe ground slightly in front of the strutter.....while the feedig bobble head hen is placed off tot he side.

Now strutting decoys can work when the time is right, and then they can stop that Tom dead in its' tracks if it is not a dominant bird. Ihave had Jakes coming running right in to a strutter and then watch them all pile into each other stopping well out of gun range too.

I have had poor success using Jake decoys of any kind - even with a Real Jake Fan......

Hens work the majority of the time far better than a jake or Tom with a hen.

You do need to know the breeding mood - to what cycle of breeding, is taking place in the area you hunt as it changes constantly over time.

Yes I have had them come running right in and then stopping way short........

and with any decoy - THINK SAFETY AT ALL TIMES!!!!!!!

JW
Old 02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_rifle_hunter
i've been looking at the pretty boy and pretty girl and also the She-mobile and jake-mobile. which ones would you prefer
The Pretty Boy set-up would be my top pick! They work extremely well. In fact, utilizing a Full Strutter decoy has been nothing short of amazing for us over the last few seasons. In fact, we've ran nearly 100% success at shot ops less than 25 yards on every weekend hunt we've made and the Struter flat out works! I've used this combo to guide friends, my dad and all 3 of my kids. If you want 'em close... that Tom will end up beak to beak to your Strutter decoy, exacly where you place him.

My Daughters biggest Gobbler to date was taken at only 8 yards last season.... open day of the Youth season. If you haven't used one.... you're missin' out.