Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunt the Roost

Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
If you shoot them from the roost, Your Not a turkey hunter plain and simple.

Ditto what Adrian said!!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
If you shoot them from the roost, Your Not a turkey hunter plain and simple.
Sorry buddy but that is simply your opinion.
If you shoot a turkey using any legal method then you just harvested a tukrey. There are many methods that people dont believe in like ,hunting with dogs, flushing a flock of birds, baiting, even using calls. I myself am not a fan of most methods. But like i said if it is legal and it works for you to make your hunt the most productive and fun, then more power to ya.
AND THATS A FACT.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Adrian j Hare, I think the same thing.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

hunting is more than luck, if you really believe hunting is just luck play the lottery to det your kicks, Shooting a turkey from roost is bs and defeats the whole purpose behind turkey hunting. The same can be said for spotlighting deer but people will defend that just the same.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't the purpose of turkey hunting to kill a turkey? If its not then don't take a weapon with you next time you go turkey "hunting".
Personally, I would not shoot a turkey off the roost, but if its legal I couldn't care less if another person does.

gyro288; I agree with you, very well said.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Turkey hunting can involve luck and in some states shooting a gobbler out of a tree is Legal, but where is the skill in sneaking up on a turkey in the dark and shooting it out of a tree at first light? The easiest thing about turkey hunting is sneaking up on em in the dark ( in my opinion and experience).
I had a hunt where I watched a nice gobbler strut and gobble on the roost for 1 hr or so he would not fly down to me but I called in another gobbler, the roosted gobbler flew down and they began to fight.
they went out of sight necks wrapped together still fighting. No I didn't get a gobbler that morning but I got a nice one on his way to roost that evening, he came right to me. I wouldn't give that experience up and I got some great video.
So I ask all hunters that would shoot a turkey out of a tree Legaly....Why would you not give the turkey a sporting chance? Why would you miss out at a chance of an even better experience for your self?

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 02-13-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: sentence structure
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

No, the purpose of hunting turkeys is not to kill a turkey. It may be the ultimate goal but not the purpose. If your whole purpose is to kill, then you have missed the mark badly. I have had some incredible hunts without ever pulling the trigger. Turkey hunting is the ultimate, the ultimate, and sneaking up on a bird on the roost steals all that the sport is about.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gyro288
Sorry buddy but that is simply your opinion.
If you shoot a turkey using any legal method then you just harvested a tukrey. There are many methods that people dont believe in like ,hunting with dogs, flushing a flock of birds, baiting, even using calls. I myself am not a fan of most methods. But like i said if it is legal and it works for you to make your hunt the most productive and fun, then more power to ya.
AND THATS A FACT.
Enough said !...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

90% of my best hunt i didn't even shoulder my gun if you are doing it because you have to feed your family is one thing but other then thatso what if you have to wait till the last day to shoot your bird i would rather kill one one the last day then to kill one on the first couple especially off the roost
and i would like to add if your best method is tree hunting sounds like you need to watch a few more videos and a whole lot of practicing
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Spike

I agree with most of you - as shooting a turkey in his roost defies the reasons the majority of us love to turkey hunt.

For me, personally, it would be like netting fish and calling that fishing. No skill, no thrill of the hunt/catch. I mean sure, you get a fish - but it's NOT fishing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.