Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
3" vs 3 1/2" Pros and Cons >

3" vs 3 1/2" Pros and Cons

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

3" vs 3 1/2" Pros and Cons

Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
It is the same way with the Browning BPS. Have a buddy who has a 10 ga BPS and it is definately a punisher but not quite as sharp as my 12 ga BPS. Of course the 10 ga weighs a little over 10 lbs whereas the 12 ga is a little over 8 lbs.

You're right. I have a BPS 10 gauge and its definitely not as harsh as some 12 gauges i've shot. This is due to the weight
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same shot size, same speed = same distance no matter the gauge. A load of #7.5 or #8 or #9 out of a .410 and a 12ga travel the same distance.

Aside from the differences of weight of shot load, and powder charge; the effects of speed, air resistance, wind and gravity affect each pellet the same way. We did a demo of this a few yrs ago at my local skeet range.

We demo'd .410, 28, 20, 16 and 12 all loaded to the same speed. There wasn't a real difference in distance.

Then I ran a Rem. hevi-shot in my beard buster.....I killed that cardboard deader'n a hammer at 55yds.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 3.5" shell with a payload at 1250, will not "shoot further" than a 2.75" shell moving at the same speed. Correct? Wouldn't the only way to increase the lethal range is an increase in velocity?
True if you are speaking of the kinetic energy level and effective killing range of the pellets. But it has been my experience that the pattern density of most turkey loads fall apart well before the lethal range of the pellets run out. In other words the pellets from a 3 inch shell may have the same power level at 45 yards as the same type pellets from a 3 1/2 inch shell but they may be spread too thin at that distance to ensure hits in vital spots. The 3 1/2 inch shell has a lot more pellets and therefore the potential to maintain a denser pattern at a longer range. Thus extending your range.

Also along those lines it often gets stated online like it's an absolute fact that:

"most guns won't pattern any better with a 3 1/2 inch shell than they will with a 3 inch shell".

Well, that sure hasn't been my experience. I have shot a lot of different kinds of turkey loads in both sizes through my three turkey guns at a 10 inch circle 40 yards away and I have "yet" to have any 3 inch shell put more pellets inside a 10 inch circle than a 3 1/2 inch shell of the same type through the same gun.

So while I'm sure it's possible for a gun to shoot a 3 1/2 shell the same or even worse than a 3 inch shell, it is by no means the norm like some would have you believe.

As for recoil of 3 1/2 inch shells? Well yeah, it's pretty harsh at the range but then it's not like the 3 inch shells are a 22 short by comparison either. Also it's not like you are going to shoot them recreationally anyway. Once you have patterned your gun with them all you will being using them for is a turkey. And I have never noticed the recoil of a shell when I killed a turkey. Neither will you.

Last edited by Todd1700; 01-31-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot 3.5 in my 870. I went out and bought a Sims Limbsaver Recoil Pad for mine and now the recoil isn't that bad. The pads are about $40.00, go ahead and buy you one, your shoulder will thank you.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I've often wondered what rifle caliber equates to the 3.5" shotgun recoil

I've read somewhere that a Mossberg 835 with 3.5" #4's has 12 more pounds per sq in of recoil than a .416 Rigby.

Man those turkeys are some tough animals.