Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Planting for Turkeys in the South >

Planting for Turkeys in the South

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Planting for Turkeys in the South

Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default Planting for Turkeys in the South

I live in Alabama and Im interested in planting something for my turkey population after Deer season is over (end of Jan). I was wondering what to plant that would grow good this time of year and that would attract birds.

Ive always herd that Chicory and Clover is the best for turkeys but will it grow ok if planted in Feb before turkey season starts?

I need some suggestions..........
Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Go to the NWTF page - www.NWTF.org and reserach as they have seed for exactly what you are trying to do.

JW
Old 01-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuffa or Nut grass ....
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chufa would probably be the best, but it's very expensive. You had better have some extra cash lying around.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

clover and chufa
Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chufas are great to plant in the spring here, unless you're in an area known to hold some hogs, then it's a horrible idea b/c hogs will destroy it, plus it's expensive. I always have excellent results planting wheat, oats, rye, and crimson clover in the fall. It's relatively cheap, deer love it in the fall, and turkeys will be all over it come opening day in March. When it starts to grow pretty tall, mow MOST of it down to knock the seeds down and give them a place to strut and feed. Turkeys gotta have open areas that are easy to walk in, and they like to be able to see a long way, while leaving some of that tall grass will give more cover for nesting hens. As far as planting in February before the season comes in, I've never done that so I don't know what you could plant. I'll post a link to a website that can answer that though, you'll like it. If you can't plant before the season, just disk up some bare ground and drag it like you were planning to plant something. Turkeys love bare dirt for dusting and feeding on bugs. Go to nwtf.org and read about turkey habitat, you'll learn what turkeys need to thrive. And check out the website below, wildlife planting guide for the southeast. Good luck bud

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2111.htm
Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just read that website i posted, Bahia is excellent for turkeys and can be planted in spring or fall. I might try that this year actually.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

As SouthernStrut mentioned, I generally plant small 2 to 3 acre plots of wheat and rye, and mow 2/3rds of it down when it gets pretty tall. Any logging roads or unplanted plot areas I simply harrow up to make areas for gobblers to strut and dust.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with some type of clover. It wont get too terribly tall and it stays green.