Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
whats everbody throwing at turkeys next spring >

whats everbody throwing at turkeys next spring

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

whats everbody throwing at turkeys next spring

Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian, I can't find the 2 oz. anywhere around here to save my life, so I have never tried them. I can't even find them at Bass Pro. I've tried the green shell and the bronze shell, and both patterned horrible for me. I know they will do better in some set-ups, but with mine, they just aren't very good. Sure I could kill a turkey with them, but with the pattern I got, I'm not going to take a risk. I shot them many times, and with three different chokes, and the results were the same. I have heard the 2 oz. is a much better load, so if I ever find some, I may experiment. Like I said though, the Wingmaster HD's pattern the best out of my gun, so I will be using them in the future along with the Rem. hevi shot i have left. Knowing my luck though, as with the hevi shot, Remington will probably stop producing them just as soon as I start using them.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Spike

Stoeger M2000 full choke + remington nitro turkey 3inch 4 or 5 shot=Deadly
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Adrian, I can't find the 2 oz. anywhere around here to save my life, so I have never tried them. I can't even find them at Bass Pro. I've tried the green shell and the bronze shell, and both patterned horrible for me. I know they will do better in some set-ups, but with mine, they just aren't very good. Sure I could kill a turkey with them, but with the pattern I got, I'm not going to take a risk. I shot them many times, and with three different chokes, and the results were the same. I have heard the 2 oz. is a much better load, so if I ever find some, I may experiment. Like I said though, the Wingmaster HD's pattern the best out of my gun, so I will be using them in the future along with the Rem. hevi shot i have left. Knowing my luck though, as with the hevi shot, Remington will probably stop producing them just as soon as I start using them.
SS, I would think it has something to do with the person ordering the Hevi 13 in Bass Pro. seems they don't order enough at any location, but there is a large difference in the shells. I just confronted the person in Bass Pro Toronto to up the anti on these 2oz loads this past fall....
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'll be using a winchester 1300 speed pump with a winchester stock XX-full choke. my loads are winchester double X magnums 3in. #5s
Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

hey guys good info thanks for not making it an argument like some other forums end up..
just wondering what everybodys max range is i know mine even with my bps 10 ga has always been 45 yards no matter what i shoot or what tube i use (yeh ive tried a bunch and it cost me) so that said i can consistantly shoot a 2 inch group at 50 yards with the stick andd string take a gulotine ao similar broadhead and whaack, turkey down. or i miss and throw the bow in the wooods to pick up my shotgun. either way ive missed with the shotgun too.. can they move faster than a deer and get out of the way of the arrow? @ 320 fps a deer cant!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I generally BOW HUNT Spring Gobblers but I do have a speciality shotgun that my kids use mostly.

Bow rig,

Mathews DXT
Spot-Hogg, Hogg-It
QAD Ultra-rest HD
Mathews T3
CX Maxima 3D Selects
Rage 2 blade

Shotgun,

T/C Encore Pro Hunter
24" turkey barrel
Indian Creek, Black Diamond Strike, custom choke
Tru Glo Gobbler Stopper Red Dot
3", 2oz., #5 Hevi Shot
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

cornfed how long a shot would you take with gun or bow and be confident to kill the bird
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

im guna be trying some of the new h13 in #7s
Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by baileym62
cornfed how long a shot would you take with gun or bow and be confident to kill the bird
With my bow, I keep ALL shots at Toms inside of 30 and honestly, they generally happen at 15 yards or less.

For my T/C Encore, I've had very impressive, consistent patterns at 50 and 60 yards! However, my goal is to keep 'em less than 40 yards. Last season my Daughter took her 24 lb'er at only 8 YARDS with it... thats how we like 'em!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

thats what i have seen to most of the birds ive shot have been at less than 20 and the logest was at about 50 after he had been wounded by my buddy, wouldnt normally have taken that shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.