Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall Turkeys in NY

Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Spike

Default Fall Turkeys in NY

Why are fall turkeys such a pain. i've been out there almost every day this week and they keep slipping by me. I've tried breaking them up and that didn't work. i tried setting up were I've see them feeding and they change that day. yesterday i thought i had the perfect spot. but when i tried to slip in before sun up i didn't know the perfect spot was right in the middle of there roust. so ya i scared them all off. then again this morning they slipped out the back door. Anyone got some good tips for fall turkey? Any tips for hunting turkey in the snow? I ask because all the rain this week wasn't enough now it's snowing.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Spike

I been out since Oct. 1 and have only seen a couple hens, heard a tom gobble and had those hens slip right behind me in the hardwoods.. I have been seeing numerous amounts of deer..right now I am hunting in the Westmoreland area and usually hunt new berlin..I hear you though I have been having the same difficulty but I have been going out only first thing in the morning and plan on going tomorrow night before nightfall then head back the following morning with a plan..good luck to you tho and just remember your not the only one having the difficulty.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Spike

Ya i had a few hens in sight on Sunday, but they were just out of range. I think all the Tom by me have forgot how to gobble. But it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy. Deer, now thats another can of worms. This year i thought i might leave my 870 12 guage set up just for turkey, so i bought an 1100 20 guage with the intentions of making that my deer gun. bought a new scope mount for it. took the old scope off my 870 and put it on the 1100. bought a lot of sabots. then spent 3 hours up to my buddies house trying to sight it in. first I'm lucky to hit the side of a barn, then my scope mount broke. so now the 1100 is just a trap gun and i went and bought a new H&R Slug Gun. Took it shooting last weekend and loved it.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

when you busted them off the limb you should of had the perfect scenario. I would of sat down right there and waited until sunrise and then let the kee kee and kee kee runs go every few minutes. They should re-group where you busted them at the roost site.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Spike

Well thats what i thought, but they didn't come back. i got a good spread on them, but later i saw that they went at least 150 yard away. i think, because they flew down hill towards a field, they must have regrouped some place else.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

150 yards isn't far for a turkey to fly when flushed off the limb...Hopefully, they will fly FARTHER, and hence be scattered better...

Often after flushing a flock, you need to determine where they went, and then go there and set up in the middle of them...For instance, if you flush them off a sidehill and they all fly over to the OTHER side of the ravine, you need to go over to the side where they landed, because they should regroup there...Saying birds will regroup in the general area of a flush site is a good general rule, but you need to use your head a little, also..

Keep after 'em...You're obviously into birds....

Don't be afraid to set up in an area with lots of fresh sign and blind call to them, either..I've called up lots of fall birds that way, sometimes whole flocks at a time...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

That's turkey hunting...especially in NY. You just gotta keep positive, enjoy the woods, and keep after them. They can and will frustrate you. Sounds like you've got a good idea of where they are hanging out, so it's just a matter of time.

Down here in my part of NY, season doesn't start till the 24th...hopefully I'll find out where they are hanging while bow hunting deer.

Just keep at...right place, right time...
Old 10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Spike

Well the threw me for a loop this morning. Had a nice blanket of the white stuff this morning. Slipped in to where I've been seeing them. Did some calling. Did a lot of sitting. 3 hours lated nothing. Went to the house and had some coffee. Then walked every inch of my 50 acres and nothing. No sound, no tracks, nothing. But i did get some much needed exercise, and it was really nice out today.

Last edited by Lbarrychevy; 10-16-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Spike

I went out this evening and called in a flock of about 4 or 5 and shot and missed through some thickets I do plan on going back out tomorrow morning