Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 And yet the WisDNR wonders why we think of them as jerks... >

And yet the WisDNR wonders why we think of them as jerks...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

And yet the WisDNR wonders why we think of them as jerks...

Old 05-06-2003, 02:40 PM

Default And yet the WisDNR wonders why we think of them as jerks...

this story is a prime example of why the DNR here in Wisconsin is hated. I was talking to a good friend who runs a bait shop near our cabin and he said that a buddy was hunting down by us. Well, the guy shoots a turkey, tags it, and the truck was fairly close. He put his gun away, and went back for the bird. He knew it was over 30 lbs. He gets back, and the sucker is walking off. He looked with his wife the rest of the day, and they didnt find it. They went down to the DNR office, and he got a new tag and filled it witha 24 lbr. Two days later, he got a call saying that so and so found the big bird with his tag on it. It weighed 31 lbbs, had something like a 11.5 inch beard and 1/5/8 spurs i think. The DNR wouldnt even let him get his picture with the bird. And yet they wonder...

slayer
Old 05-06-2003, 03:10 PM

Default RE: And yet the WisDNR wonders why we think of them as jerks...

I understand your fustration,t5hey do weird things.
why would a guy leave his bird to carry his gun to the truck?[&o]
next question;why would the DNR have the bird and why wouldn' t they let hin get a pic??.
did the other guy turn it in?was it dead when the guy found it or did he shoot the bird??
weird!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 03:14 PM

I am right there with Tree Climber on these questions
Old 05-06-2003, 03:58 PM

Ya tree climber has a good point. Why would he have a good bird and then leave it there. weird.[:' (]
Old 05-06-2003, 04:05 PM

Im thinkin the same as the rest on this one,why leave the bird, put the gun in one hand and the bird in the other?
Old 05-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt about it, that " lost" turkey was a trophy indeed!!! I just can' t understand why he had left that bird in the first place? You have to wonder what he was thinking by doing that!! Talk about a gem of a story!!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:08 PM

How can he get another permit and whack a second bird?

More, what' s his bellyache? If I' m the DNR I ask what kind of dumb cluck leaves his game to wander off, and how (if I' m the DNR) am I supposed to believe he " lost" the bird, not in violation of the wanton waste laws? I think the guy got a break that noone wrote him a ticket or two.

To me, the turkey in the picture is not the Wisconsin DNR, it' s the turkey who walked off and left his bird, then complained when the DNR wouldn' t let him have a picture of it.

Just my opinion, but sheesh and come on.[&:]
Old 05-06-2003, 07:49 PM

I' m guessing when the guy went to get a duplicate tag he failed to mention that his original tag was already fastened to a turkeys leg.He could have been ticketed for harvesting two birds with one tag.Sounds like the DNR let him off easy.
Everyone always tries to push the law to the limit and then when they get caught it is the DNR' s fault.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:04 PM

Sounds like you might want to get more info from your bait shop friend. Way to many holes in that story and not enough holes in the head of that turkey!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:56 AM

if i had killed a bird and tagged him,you can be sure he would have been in my turkey vest game bag or over my shoulder if too big to go in the gamebag.

Quick Reply: And yet the WisDNR wonders why we think of them as jerks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.