Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 anyone know about the cycles of turkey? >

anyone know about the cycles of turkey?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

anyone know about the cycles of turkey?

Old 05-06-2003, 12:40 PM

Default anyone know about the cycles of turkey?

my friend was telling me about some video or book(maybe by HS Strut) that talks about the cycles of turkey during turkey season(spring). he told me all this info about how one week the birds will be henned up and to try and call to the hens and how a few days later u can call in those toms from anywhere. it was mostly like dates like 5/3 start to call and how the first week or so of turkey season, that you shouldn' t really call...just try to get close to their roost in the morning and put decoys out.....has anyone else read or watched this and can they give me a little more info on it?

i called the first 4 days and only have one gobbling on the ground but he never came more than 150 yards close. after he told me about this info, i didn' t call for the next three days and i had hens at 5 yards and jakes at 50 and finally shot a jake at like 20.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:52 PM

Default RE: anyone know about the cycles of turkey?

Well My Friend I am not from your neck of the woods but close none the less
I live and hunt in Northern MD
Our first day was April 18th on this day I found a Hot Ole Longbeard and scored !
He Gobbled about 5 times and Ran as fast as he could to my calling
LOL it was the darndest thing that I have ever seen!
I thought that things would be Great this season but only until this morning did I hear another Gobbler
This Ole Boy sounded like he was comming in until an old Hen stole him away from me Dangit[:@]
So in my opinion I am not sure of what is going on
You would think that the hens would soon be sitting and leaving the Boys alone
Anyway I don' t know if I have shed any light on this subject for you or not but I can say that I hunt 2 diff. Farms and they are within 2 miles of each other and things can be happening on one and not the other so who really knows?
I am as confused as everyone else
Old 05-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone know about the cycles of turkey?

I think your friend is refering to the Knight & Hale Gobler Guide. It is a book and video that talks about the five phases that turkeys go through during the breeding season. I also tells you when they should be in the various phases in your part of the country at different times of the year. Finally, it gives tips on how to hunt them during each phase. In my opinion it is pretty good and worth the investment. I have seen it in stores and you can get it off of their web site.