Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

O-fer rookie season

Old 05-05-2003, 04:06 PM

Default O-fer rookie season

This was my first year to hunt turkeys (I use a bow). Anyways, I saw one gobbler running away from me at about 75 yds and that was the extent of my success. I am going to try and post some general education questions and hope you guys can get me on the right track for next year.

1. When you set up in a ground blind and try and call birds in, how often do you call (every minute, every 5 minutes, etc) until you hear a gobble?
Old 05-05-2003, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: O-fer rookie season

youll have that...your still learning...i went 4 yrs without firing a shot..with my dad and guys here teaching me anything they could...my dad told me he taught me all he knows all i gota do is shot...i never liked any of the shots i had...this year igot my first first time i went out alone....youll connect sooner or later..to answer your question..its really really hard to say..theres days that the birds are going absolutly nuts and you can call alot...then theres days like last monday..the only birds i heard were 300yds or more away..had to cross steep hills and creeks to get to me but i know they use the trail i was set up on...i called lightly with 2 calls talking to eachother like 2 hens carrying on and feeding..called a few series every 20 minutes or so...started at 7 or so...8 i heard him gobble 70yds down the hill or soo..he gobbled again looking for me..i it my call as excitedly as possible and he gobbled again...the rest is history...it all depends...i never feed back to every gobble.....im one of the ones who like to " make em come lookin for ya" ..my rule for myself is call enough to get him coming..then just enough to let him know im around..and if i have no idea theres a bird around..like last monday...i call just enough to let them know theres a hen in the area....it really all depends on the situation....you will learn that as time comes and you learn what they want on that particular day......good luck......keep the questions coming...i dont know everthing about turkey hunting but im always on this board and get bored not having a post to read or reply to and will try my best...the only way to learn is to ask...dont feel dumb or anything....weve all been in your place..
Old 05-06-2003, 09:16 AM

it took me four seasons before i got a bird and i use a shotgun...so hand in there, i call about every10-15 min softly or the way the real-hens are talking around me...unless i' m working a tom then i play that by ear depending upon how hot he is.....you' ll learn these things by trial and error..good luck next year
Old 05-06-2003, 04:08 PM

That is a hard question to answer, and also an easy one. it takes practice. You have to listen, and take his temp. you will know when to call when it is time, and what to call. I like to go out and just listen and call, for some better practice then just watching tapes and shows.

Hops this helps

Trc. Merc.