Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rookie needs help >

Rookie needs help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rookie needs help

Old 08-15-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Rookie needs help

Alright guy's help me out here. I'm no bow expert by any means, I enjoy shooting and hunting with my bow but I'm still green when it come's to the technical stuff. What I'm wondering is if someone can run some number's for me and let me now if the arrow's I have are right for my set up.

Here's my stuff:

PSE Excursion Bow
28" Draw Length
58lb Pull
75% Let off
Cobra Electraslide sight
Drop Zone Rest

Currently my arrows are Gold Tip 5575 XT Hunter's w/camo and 28.5" longand 2" blazer veins and a small wrap I've been shooting 90 grain field points and I won some 85 grain montec G5's which I'd really like to use but I'm not sure if these arrows are going to work or not if anyone has any input that would be great.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rookie needs help

I'm no expert either, but say you want a minimum arrow weight of 5 grains per pound for safety sake, so that means 5X58=290. GT 5575's are 8.9 GPI, so the shaft weighs about 253-254 grains. Add about 15 for 3 blazers and 85 for the head and you have an arrow that weighs at least 353 grains, not counting the weight of the nock, insert, or wrap. I think they should be at least safe to shoot and try out. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:37 PM

I show those arrows being stiff for that set up with a 85 grn point. Do you know how fast it will shoot them and what they weigh? I also need to know what type of nock you use. I figured it with the standard lock nocks.

I get a total arrow weight of 375 grns with the lock nocks and 85 grn tips. Also a FOC of 7% which is pretty low for a hunting arrow.

I would suggest a 125 grn tip weight. That would bumb you up to almost 11 percent FOC, make your spine better and give you around 411 grns for total arrow weight.

I will note that I could not find your bow in my data base so I used a bow with simular specs, actually a bit better and I guessed on string weight. So my calculations are probably not dead on, but they should be close enough and would err to the stiff side which is better than being weak.

This was with the OnTarget2 software for archers program.

Paul
Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 AM

I'm using standard nocks that come with gold tips, I would assume there standard lock nocks, also according to the gold tip website the arrows should be 8.2 grains/inch so that would put the arrow weight minus everything else at 229.6 grains so I think your right I will probably be weak I'm going to stop and get some 125 grain field points after work today and shoot those. How do I figure out the string weight? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:36 PM

You add up what you have on your string, like a brass nock or string loop and peep. I can't tell you what the different ones weigh. I use a string loop and one of the peeps that looks like a black cheerio. The string loop weighs 4 grns and the peep weight 7. If you use a bigger peep or one with an alignment tube it will weigh more. I think a brass nock weighs around 7 grns, but don't quote me on that. And they have different sizes that weigh different.

I honestly don't add string silencers to the string weight unless you have them close to the center of the string. The closer they are to the limbs the less effect it has.

Paul